Author Topic: burial records for pauper burials ??  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
burial records for pauper burials ??
« on: Tuesday 19 January 16 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying without success for a number of years to find my great great grandfathers burial place.He died in Brighton in 1882, whilst lodging in what I was told was a lodging house in a rough district.He died in January and it was suggested if a huge number of people were dying in that month and were destined for a paupers burial, their names would not be entered in the cemetery burial book.Could anyone confirm that this is true and also give names of any Brighton cemeterys that had pauper sites. Thankyou.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: burial records for pauper burials ??
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks will do

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Looked through my notes and just realised that I had contacted Brighton and Hove some years  before and they had no record of his death,so I am beginning to wonder if what i was told about deaths of paupers not being entered in burial books at busy times is true

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I suppose its possible that if some real epidemic was happening a burial entry might say something like "three persons buried this day" because the likelihood of accurate information happening was lessened. Even under normal circumstances there are unfortunate entries in burial registers that don't include names. I was stunned by one Islington burial register that was littered with "child found in river" "baby found in churchyard" "child found in gutter", was very upsetting. They aren't just restricted to children though, with the occasional "man found in docks" or "wife of Mr Smith" "Man Unknown, aged about 35". Makes you wonder if that one relative you just can't find is written down in some manner like that and while you are cursing them out for having been abducted by aliens...  :-\

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying without success for a number of years to find my great great grandfathers burial place.He died in Brighton in 1882, whilst lodging in what I was told was a lodging house in a rough district.He died in January and it was suggested if a huge number of people were dying in that month and were destined for a paupers burial, their names would not be entered in the cemetery burial book.Could anyone confirm that this is true and also give names of any Brighton cemeterys that had pauper sites. Thankyou.

I am sure it did happen but it certainly was not common practice as such a practice was unlawfuly and each offence came with a £5 penalty (from 1864 the fine was increased later).

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
In response to Ayashi's post - I too was saddened when researching my mother's Cornwall family to see a fair number of burials for 'man/woman's body washed up on beach'.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 19:55 GMT (UK) »
have another look at the death cert and cross reference the place of death with a current map and try to find the nearest cemeteries. It will be easier to ask each cemetery if they have him as you have an exact date of death. Burial would have taken place 3-5 days later.

If a death cert has been issued I think it unlikely he will have been anonymously buried.

I don't know of a cemetery that doesn't have a section for common graves (our ancestors would be horrified by the term pauper graves, many families couldn't afford to buy a plot but would have scrimped together the necessary funds for a decent burial.)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks folks,finding his resting place would finish 10 years of research,.He died at Providence Place,of pneumonia, and his son lived on the other side of Brighton, with his pregnant wife and two very young children, all newly arrived in Brighton, so I should think he was not in a position to pay out very much for a funeral.I contacted cemetery records some years ago and paid my fee but they said couldnt find him, and over the years I tried so many other places.I have had so many suggestions over the years of where he might be,I think I will just have to assume he is somewhere in Brighton.
So sad to hear of these poor folk who were not given a proper burial. Thankyou again.