Author Topic: Miriam Kate Williams b.1874 Bristol  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Tessa Spencer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miriam Kate Williams b.1874 Bristol
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 January 16 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the input.
In the absence of alternative evidence, I must assume that the publicity Miriam Kate put forward for her origins was a fabrication, just as she stated her lover was her brother. There is no sister for her on the censuses, but William had a sister, Hannah Almira. Maybe Miriam was talking about her. A Welsh Baptist minister of irish descent as a father, seems to be a fabrication also, although I will keep looking. Very interesting to read the newspaper articles. Thanks again.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 January 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
it mentioned in one article that of all her medals she was most proud of the one awarded for saving two boys from drowning in the Usk in Abergavenny in uly 1901 - trying to track down reports of the incident to see if that helps (if it happened)

Offline Mona Vine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
They had to pretend to be brother & sister as he was married and vulcana was his mistress. In those days it was not done.

Offline Kim Roberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the input.
In the absence of alternative evidence, I must assume that the publicity Miriam Kate put forward for her origins was a fabrication, just as she stated her lover was her brother. There is no sister for her on the censuses, but William had a sister, Hannah Almira. Maybe Miriam was talking about her. A Welsh Baptist minister of irish descent as a father, seems to be a fabrication also, although I will keep looking. Very interesting to read the newspaper articles. Thanks again.

Hi Tessa, Can you please get in touch with me as I am very interested in your posts which i think are acurate.

Offline Jane Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 July 20 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tessa, I am a great grand daughter of Vulcana and have done lots of research of her history. However before she teamed up with Atlas (William Roberts) it is still a bit of a mystery. I believe that she is the daughter of Robert Ellis Williams which differs from your impression. Of course I have definite proof of this as I have been unable to find a birth certificate or baptism record. If she was the daughter of a baptist minster she would not have a baptism in infancy so no record. I am interested to hear the history you have of the Hamilton Dauncey Williams genealogy. Does it include a brother named William? I know she had a brother William and on my information it says in the 1891 census that she was at home with Father Robert Ellis Williams (Baptist Minister) and Mother Eleanor, sisters Margaret and Eleanor as well as William. It says she and William were born in Staylittle Montgomeryshire. I have a copy of a letter from this brother William following her death. This is just to try and explain why I think her parents are different from the ones you state. (you may be right of course). I have written a history as far I as know it on a blog : vulcanaonline.com and you may be interested to read it as it details a lot of their travels. Since writing it and stating she had six children I now believe it to be likely to be four, Nora, Mona, Arthur and William. It gets confusing as both families merged and joined the troupe of athletes that travelled the world. I would be really interested to hear what you think of the blog information. My name is Jane Hunt nee Vanderstay, my father was Mona's son.

Offline Jane Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 July 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tessa,
My blog vulcanaonline.com has lots of beautiful photos that I am sure you will be interested to see. A book is being written about her as we speak by an author friend who was fascinated with her story. It does not focus on her parentage but is a novel based on her life. Of course it is not a biography but it is a story woven around the details of her life so will not be 100% accurate but as near to the truth as we can be based on what we have.
I was told she was a Welsh Ministers daughter and she stated in an article that "they" were a ministers son and daughter because as you say she was portraying herself as Atlas' sister. 
I would love to hear from you.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat. I haven't checked the blog to see what info you have re. Miriam's parents but checking out Robert Ellis Williams and Eleanor ? -

Census 1871 (ref. RG10  3802  141  2)
Robert E Williams, Head, Marr, age 24, Town Missionary, born Wales
Eleanor Williams, Wife, Marr, age 31, born Lancashire
Address - 43 Beloe Street, Toxteth Park, Liverpool

FindMyPast Marriage Registration
Robert Ellis Williams, Sep Qtr 1870, Liverpool, 8b  441 - on same page Eleanor Jones

On the 1881 Census, Miriam Williams, age 5, has Place of Birth "Brynmair" (1891 = "Staylittle") - which falls within the Machynlleth registration district. Therefore, possibly looking for a birth registration of a Catherine Miriam Williams (and variations), around 1876, mother's maiden name Jones. 

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
Checking Welsh Journals, the Welsh Language religous periodical "Y greal, April 1873" published a poetical tribute by Dewi Bach (Dylifau) to the death of -
"Little Robert, son of the Rev R E Williams and his bride, Staylittle, died 3 months old"

Death Registration
Robert Ellis Williams, Sep Qtr 1872, Newtown, 11b  127, age 0.

I note registration district is Newtown rather than Machynlleth.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
Wills.
Robert Ellis Williams of 13 Stuart Street, Aberdare, Glamorganshire died 26 September 1911 at 29 Malvern Terrace, Swansea. Administration Llandaff 14 November to Eleanor Williams, widow. Effects £72 10s 6d.

Robert died at his daughter's residence. If you check the "29 Malvern Terrace" address on the 1911 Census, one of the 2 residents is a Miriam, born Staylittle.

Robert Ellis Williams also known as "Twrfab"