Author Topic: William Hopkins & Martha Unknown of Gildersome, Leeds, West Yorkshire  (Read 550 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hopkins & Martha Unknown of Gildersome, Leeds, West Yorkshire
« on: Saturday 23 January 16 02:46 GMT (UK) »
William Hopkins & Martha Unknown were at sometime members of the Religious Society of Friends [Quakers].  This is the case as the birth of their children [at least beginning with the birth of their son William in 1754] is recorded by the RSoF as 'Parents Not in Unity".  The earliest birth I can locate is 1754.

I am looking for Martha's maiden name.  It seems they married sometime before 1754 but it may be that they weren't in unity because they had relations before their marriage or they married against their parents wishes or that the society believed their marriage was not sanctioned ???  The only facts I know are:
* the first child I can locate is William b 25 May 1754
* William's birth record is noted as Parents Not in Unity
* The next child born to the couple, Zachariah born in 1757's record shows the parents were still Not in Unity so it seems they may have been a longer term issue as the parents identified with the Society but their membership was not accepted by the Society because they had not complied with some rule/s.

I am hoping to find Martha's maiden name please and the couples date of marriage [edit] :)  Perhaps the couple married in the Established Church and this may be the reason they are not in unity.

Westy

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: William Hopkins & Martha Unknown of Gildersome, Leeds, West Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 16 04:06 GMT (UK) »
I you considered the William HOPKINS/Martha SMITH Marriage,
17 April 1754, Saint Peter, Leeds, York
Age 33 and 30
(Familysearch.Org)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 16 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish

Yes I had a look at that one and the marriage was 17 April 1754 and the birth of William Hopkins son of William Hopkins & Martha was 22 May 1754; just a wee bit more than a month before the birth???

I located the actual marriage record for William Hopkins and Martha Smith; Martha was unable to write and their marriage was by Licence???

I suppose I am looking for other contenders as well and did find a RSoF marriage between William Hopkins & Mary Benson in 30 Apr 1746.  Mary was of Gildersome & William of Hunslet a cloth maker. 

I am now wondering if Mary died as a result of a birth and William married quickly without approval???

I am wondering if the Minutes of the  Gildersome  meeting exist as they may say why William & Martha are not in unity.

But I do seem to be going round in ever decreasing circles ::)

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 16 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I now think Martha, wife of William Hopkins was Martha Smith and they married 17 Apr 1754.

Am open to alternatives but the marriage seems to be the best fit all round.

Westy