Author Topic: Marriage of John Bewick to Mary?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Bewick to Mary?
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Seeking help to locate the marriage information of John Bewick, bn 1839 to Robert Bewick and Elizabeth Bater.

I have located a marriage of John to Mary Ventress. However, this is not the correct marriage, as John’s father in the record England and Wales Marriages 1538-1940, is recorded as John also. Date is 15 Sept 1861. According to A******, the marriage took place at Newcastle on Tyne, St Nicholas.

I have the census information which shows John at Newcastle in 1861, with a brother and sister. In 1871, he shows up as married with the starting of a family.

At this stage I have not been able to locate another marriage for John to Mary?

Any assistance would be very gratefully accepted, as this has me quite flummoxed.

A Chesters

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Bewick to Mary?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 07:38 GMT (UK) »
On the marriage of John Bewick to Mary Ventress, the father's names are given as John Bewick and Robert Ventress?

It is entirely possible that the forenames of the fathers of the happy couple have been transposed?!
Registrar error? Transcription error? (How many times has the original data been transcribed!)

I would be tempted to either get the Marriage Certificate, or try to find the Parish Register entry.

Have you found Mary Ventress on earlier censuses? What is the name of her father on those?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I would get the birth certificate of one of the children of John & Mary as that is the best way of making sure you have the right mother's name when going further back.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
1871 Census their 1st Child is born c 1867

Another possible Marriage;
24 Dec 1865, St. Hilda, South Shields, Durham
John BEWICK, Father ROBERT Bewick
Mary Armstrong FAWCETT, Father WILLIAM Armstrong

(FreeBMD has her as Mary Ann Strong Fawcett)

As fiddlerslass said a Childs Birth Cert is needed.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest and help.

KG, the very idea that the fathers names might have been transposed did not occur to me at all. :-[ :-[ 
I have tried to locate the Parish registry, but at this stage the records for the church, St Nicholas at Newcastle, do not go that far on the internet. I have not yet had a look at Mary Ventress on the census to check the fathers name. Duh!

fiddlerslass, I will think about that, as they are not on the direct line, I am a little reluctant at this stage.

Trish, thank you very much for that. I simply had not found that marriage, but will give it a close look.

Again many thanks to all of you for your assistance.

AC

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 16 00:04 GMT (UK) »
KG, I have had a look at the census information for Mary Ventress, and her father is named as John, on both the 1861 and 1850, so your thought that the fathers names had been transposed seems to be very plausible.

I really will have to try to remember to look at all aspects of research before asking for help, so that I am better prepared when I do have to ask for help.

Many thanks for your help

AC