Author Topic: cant get my head round this one! Blyth Family  (Read 16673 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cant get my head round this one!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Burial records show a Lilian Blyth birth about 1909 buried 30 Sep 1987 at Magdalen Hill, Winchester of 23A Lower Brook St, Winchester.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
yep thats my lady. i would assume going by this that it is Edith Lillian May West born 1909. she wasnt who William married. for a start Edith would have been only 13 at the time. The marriage certificate says elsie elizabeth.
i think the most obvious thing was he married one sister had a baby with her (lily jr) then ran off with the other sister edith  lillian and had other children. then the wife left and edith moved in and they lived as mr and mrs blyth. maybe she just used the name lily. but then she adds elsie or elizabeth to each birth cert. then we come to the deaths!
this one worries me
did edith lilian known as lily e (elizabeth or elsie) die or did elsie elizabeth die? which lady did they bury?!! there is clearly an indexed lillian blyth and elsie blyth. so which sister was it? and where did the other one go?
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Only Elsie Elizabeth used Elsie. They both appeared to have used Lily/Lillian.

I have pm'ed you.   
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:39 GMT (UK) »
2 children are born
Lilly BLYTH 1929 Winchester hants

I can only find birth registration of Lily West (mmn West) in Winchester in 1929, not a Blyth. Looked at both FindMyPast and FreeBMD
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:45 GMT (UK) »
oh my days! you are very right im so sorry. i get awful brain fog doing this all. Lily was born Lily West mmn West. she too was born to this other west sister. lily married kenneth rummell using the surname BLYTH but she was indeed born west. my apologse

just dug out the death cert again to double check everything. death of lilian blyth otherwise known as elsie.

would this imply that it was indeed edith he was living with but as he was married to elsie, lililan was otherwise known as elise, in case of gossip?

ADDED i have gone back and modified my first post so as not to confuse others coming in on this x

i must also add that William thomas was a larger than life character who on his death bed said no copper aint ever comeing in my house. when he passed away the young one was sent to get the policeman. on his return with the policeman the front door could not be opened and it took 3 men to open it. maybe they were living out of wedlock? and where did the real elsie go?

saville foljambe moore

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Then to my mind the death was definitely Elsie. Who was the informant?

In my opinion William lived with Elsie known as Lily/Lillian & it was Edith Lillian May who we ought to try to find. Did she emigrate perhaps?

How have your 1939 searches gone?

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Then to my mind the death was definitely Elsie. Who was the informant?

In my opinion William lived with Elsie known as Lily/Lillian & it was Edith Lillian May who we ought to try to find. Did she emigrate perhaps?

i feel it may be the other way round. he couldnt have married edith lilian as his marriage cert says he married elsie and she would have been too young. i feel elsie edith became more of a 'catch' for william so he moved her in and moved elsie out. then edith known as lily/lilian lived as his wife, using her sisters name and william real wifes name elsie for officals? also the birth date given on the death cet matches that of edith lilian not elsie
only guess work though which is why i value everyones opinions here.

can you believe i cannot find where i have put her death cert? i literally had it in my hands only monets ago, cant find it now. i think if i remember though the informant was her son. however on the death of her father ernest west, the infomant is L. Blyth, that was in 1951.

saville foljambe moore

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
On the free preview of 1939 register, there's a Lilian Blyth born 1909 in the Tyson household. It says Michael Tyson and two more people are on the record and 3 more who are officially closed.

The William Blyth record is giving an error message at the moment when I try and look at the preview. It says birth year 1896, but I think his birth was registered Q2 1897.
There is a burial record 9 Dec 1966 when it says he was 69. Which would match with abirth in Q2 1897. Magdalen Hill cemetery again.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you need to dig up the garden of where William lived....