Author Topic: HARRIS / COOTE - Saffron Walden & Hempstead  (Read 3237 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS / COOTE - Saffron Walden & Hempstead
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 01:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple in mind who could be my William and Mary Coote, a William Coote married Mary Ramshire 10 Feb 1757 at Saffron Walden sourced from Family Search

Thanks for the info regarding the supposedly Saffron Walden marriage nannyJ.

From memory I don't think the Family Search entry had a Batch #, perhaps Saffron Walden was where someone researching Cootes wanted the marriage to be, rather than where it actually was.

I think I'll have a look on FindMyPast to see what William Coote marriages there are in Phillimores Essex Marriages pre 1760, then next time FindMyPast has a free weekend I'll check out the bride names and location of the marriages.

I did have some concern with these Lt Bardfield Cootes, William and Mary had three children baptised at Lt Bardfield.
Mary bap 25 Dec 1760.
Hannah 22 Nov 1761
Jemima Coote 6 Mar 1763.

Then a William and Sarah Coote baptised 5 children 1765 to 1772 at Lt Bardfield, their first was Amos 30 Jun 1765, the mother's name in his entry had been written as Mary then the M crossed out and an S written above the M, the mother's name for the following four children's was Sarah.

Thanks to all for tolerating my butting in.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the burials and marriages at Little Bardfield. There was no death for Mary, although there was a death for william, infant son of william coote 5/8/1767.
There was also no marriage for william and sarah, although that may not have been her parish, so they would have married elsewhere.
Let me know if there's anything I can look up in the meantime.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help nannyj, very much appreciated.

That search for a burial of William's wife Mary was just what I needed, reassurance.  I did check Lt Bardfield for a burial quite a while ago but looking at my Cootes again and the mix up by the recorder of Mary and Sary had me wondering did I miss the burial.

I think I know who Sarah the wife of William Coote is, one of two, Sara Ansel married William Coot 1759 at Gt Saling or Sara Booty married William Coot 1757 at Sible Hedingham, both marriages from Boyd's/Phillimores marriage Index, not that it helps me at the moment.  ;D

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 February 16 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi nannyj,

Thought I'd let you know that William Coote 1957 marriage to Mary Ramshire according to FindMyPast is William Coote to Anne Ramshire 1959 at Saffron Walden.

I did a recheck on F S and the entry does state William Coote and Mary Ramshire 10 Feb 1757 at Saffron Walden.  The entry is under Genealogies  ::) so it's either someone making the marriage fit or perhaps made a mistake with the year and the first name.  It has crossed my mind that perhaps the lady was a Mary Anne and the Mary was left out of the marriage entry but used in the three baptisms but perhaps that's stretching the imagination too far.  ;D

Back to the drawing board methinks.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 February 16 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi nannyj,

Thought I'd let you know that William Coote 1957 marriage to Mary Ramshire according to FindMyPast is William Coote to Anne Ramshire 1959 at Saffron Walden.

I did a recheck on F S and the entry does state William Coote and Mary Ramshire 10 Feb 1757 at Saffron Walden.  The entry is under Genealogies  ::) so it's either someone making the marriage fit or perhaps made a mistake with the year and the first name.  It has crossed my mind that perhaps the lady was a Mary Anne and the Mary was left out of the marriage entry but used in the three baptisms but perhaps that's stretching the imagination too far.  ;D

Back to the drawing board methinks.
Mm I see :D

Hope you can still modify :) ..we know when you meant :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 February 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Another senior moment.  :o  :-[

I did of course mean 1757 and 1759.

Thanks for pointing out my error, I really must get my brain and fingers in sync, now where's that adjustment device?  :)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 February 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Let me know if there's anything I can look up in the meantime.

Hi nannyj,

There is a lookup I would appreciate please if you don't mind.

The 1759 Saffron Walden marriage of William Coote and Ann Ramshire, that marriage is a FindMyPast Boyd's reference, apart from having the full date it might provide a snippet of useful info.  I am wondering if Ann Ramshire was baptised Mary Ann, I will be following up/finding that baptism when I can, hoping she was born in SW, I'm not pinning too much hope on that theory though.

Just to keep all in the picture, not only was my Jemima Coote married at Gt Waltham but also her two (known) siblings Mary and Hannah so it does appear that at some stage William and Mary took their family to Gt Waltham.  Also married there was Amos Coote, the one whose mother was written as Mary but then the M crossed out and  S written over the top of the M making it Sary.  I can't quite settle my mind about that yet, I keep wondering was the mother of Amos actually Mary or Sary, or were all eight children of William and Mary Coote or even all children of William and Sarah.  I lean towards two different families but there's a smidgen of doubt in my mind.

Regards.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 February 16 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Findem

I would suggest not. There is a 1759 marriage of a Mary Ramshire in Saffron Walden - to a Thomas Nottage.

I would find it odd that 2 Marys were baptized in the same family. Not saying it isn't possible and that's why Ann was used- just a stretch for me. :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 February 16 23:31 GMT (UK) »
By banns 10/2/1759 both of parish. John ramshire was a witness.

Charles coote m mary dellow 22 oct 1758.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.