Author Topic: HARRIS / COOTE - Saffron Walden & Hempstead  (Read 3236 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS / COOTE - Saffron Walden & Hempstead
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 February 16 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks nannyj, much appreciated.

I guess the bride's name was simply Ann, not Mary Ann, otherwise you would have mentioned it, one possible theory knocked on the head.  :)

It's a problem with long distance searches none of the sites like Free Reg, Family Search, FindMyPast etc cover all Essex parishes, no doubt there are quite a few parishes that aren't covered by any.  :(

Have you noticed how often a parish one needs to check is covered by Free Reg but your date is either too early or too late.  ::)  ;D

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 February 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Findem

I would suggest not. There is a 1759 marriage of a Mary Ramshire in Saffron Walden - to a Thomas Nottage.

I would find it odd that 2 Marys were baptized in the same family. Not saying it isn't possible and that's why Ann was used- just a stretch for me. :)

Thanks for that info David it's obviously time for me to forget the Saffron Walden Cootes.

That Mary to Sary name change business has me concerned, I'm still wondering if Mary, Sary/Sarah are one and the same person or two people, on FindMyPast Boyd's Essex Marriage Index there doesn't appear to be William Coote to a Mary marriage in the appropriate time frame, there is a marriage of William Coot to Sarah Ansel 1759 Gt Saling and a William Coot to Sara Booty 1752 Sible Hedingham but none to a Mary 1750 to 1760, the marriage that I want is probably one Phillimore/Boyd missed.  ;D

Regards.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 07 February 16 08:41 GMT (UK) »
I think two different people as the three previous children are so clearly of William and Mary? It is weird that M crossed out. The infant, William, who is buried in L Bardfield 5/8/1767 is the son or 'Ma.Coote'
It looks like a 'y' above the dot?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 February 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the second opinion on the one or two families nannyj, originally that was my opinion but thinking about it recently I began to wonder, the fact the the first child of William and "Sary" was baptised two years after the last child of William and Mary gave it the appearance as though of the same family didn't help much.  I guess I did too much thinking and clouded my judgement somewhat.

Thanks for the comment on the 1767 Lt Bardfield infant burial, very interesting.  I believe/hope that entry is on a Lt Bardfield fiche I purchased.  I have it recorded as an infant of Mr Coote, I'll recheck the fiche because it looked as though I misread it.  Just checked the sleeves of my Lt Bardfield fiche and they cover burials 1695 to 1782 so I will be able to recheck it.

Even that burial raises a question, although not of vital importance, if that infant belonged to William and Mary, was it's death the reason the family moved to Gt Waltham and the reason I seem unable to find more children, e.g. complicated birth resulting in Mary unable to bear children anymore.

Anyone have an idea of at what age an infant in the 1760s stopped being classified as an infant and became a child?

I have tried to find other children post 1760 Essex using Family Search, Free Reg, Ancestry and FindMyPast but nothing doing, later today I will try The Genealogist, I don't have a sub (nor with FindMyPast) but perhaps it might come up with something to give me a clue.

Regards.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 February 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Do you just want the dates and parents? I can look them up on parish records?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 08 February 16 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Do you just want the dates and parents? I can look them up on parish records?

Not 100% sure what you are referring to nannyj, probably my brain is having a rest day.

I have the full dates of all the eight Coote children of William and Mary (3) and those of William and Sarah (5).

If you mean any children of William and Mary Coote baptised after 1763, I have no clue where, if any, further children could be found.  I could find none at Gt Waltham on Family Search which covers 1566 to 1812 but how well I'm not sure.  Nothing found on Free Reg, Ancestry or FindMyPast. 

I did find a few Essex Cootes on The Genealogist, searching 1760 to 1780, the earliest shown was in 1768 at Takeley, having no sub for that site I couldn't see parent names but fortunately Takeley transcripts being online I was able to check them out.  There were five children and they belonged to a Richard and Susannah Coote and were baptised 1755 to 1773.

I'm afraid I have no clues where to look for other children, I had my hopes pinned on Gt Waltham providing further children.

Of course to make matters worse, since I don't have the marriage of William and Mary Coote, I can't be sure if the three Lt Bardfield Coote children were the start of the family or the tail end, it's a pain not being able to find the marriage.

I have one suspect for William Coote he was baptised in 1737 at Gt Waltham but the date of the William and Mary marriage may decide if he's a possible or not and I'm sure there will be a few more possibles waiting to come out of the woodwork.

To sum it up I suppose it would fair to say I'm clueless.  ;D

Any suggestions gladly welcomed.

Regards