Author Topic: Ebenezer Carlile / Carlyle / Carlisle  (Read 864 times)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ebenezer Carlile / Carlyle / Carlisle
« on: Saturday 30 January 16 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

this is related to a previous post, but I thought it might be handier to make it into a new topic.

I am still looking for two Ebenezers, both called Carlile (Carlyle, Carlisle) and born in Paisley.
It was already established that they are not father and son, but the name Ebenezer seems to be quite rare within the Carlile-family and passed on from father to son, so they are quite certainly related (uncle/nephew maybe?).

The older Ebenezer was born around 1757 in Scotland. There is no direct indication that he was born in or around Paisley, though there are a lot of Carliles there and he got married to Janet Torrence in Paisley in the early 1780's.
I have traced him all the way to his death, having 4 children in Paisley, 3 more in and around Liverpool, after which the whole family moved to London where he died in 1844.

The younger Ebenezer was born in Paisley around 1781, where he married Margaret Semple in 1816, returning home from a military career with the 12th Dragoons, just after the Battle of Waterloo where his regiment was present (he joined the army in 1800).
I wasn't able to find any children, nor his death. He does appear on the 1841 and 1851 Scotland census, not on the 1861. He must have died in between, in his 70's.

I am still looking for the birth of both, and their family relation to one another. There are no Ebenezers Carlile born around those years in the whole of the UK, according to both Ancestry and Scotlandspeople. Though I do know their databases are incomplete. Would any of you happen to know about another online source? At this time, I am not able to travel to Scotland to go to the archives for this myself (living in Belgium...)

I dismissed the possibility of the younger Ebenezer being the son of the elder, since the latter had another son baptised Ebenezer in 1792. This one was married Sophia Aitkin in London after the family had moved there, in 1814. My experience is that names were only repeated within one family if the first one had died. I also strongly doubt he would have left his 9 year old son behind when moving to the Liverpool area.

Last but not least: there seem to be some Ebenezers in the US as well. I don't have access to all documents, but it seems that there is one born around 1720 in Massachusetts and another around 1750 in the same state. Another one was born around 1774 but no mention of where.
Though it is another generation earlier, I wonder if they're related to them as well somehow... It seems like a long shot, but the combination Ebenezer + Carlile is really really rare. If I would be able to find "my" Ebenezer's parents, I might be able to look into the emigration to America to find a link - or not.

Regards,
Tom

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezer Carlile / Carlyle / Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 16 10:52 GMT (UK) »
There's an Ebenezer Carlisle  in the 1841 census in London and his birthplace is given as Ireland.  He is of approximately the right age but I don't know if it is your Ebenezer. 

My Carlyles moved from Dumfriesshire to Wales and i haven't come across an Ebenzer amongst mine yet.  My Renfrewshire lot are called Smith.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosles

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 16 18:41 BST (UK) »
I think the second Ebenezar you are looking for and his wife died in the Poor House in Paisley. I don't have my notes in front of me right now but I do know they were there.

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
I think the second Ebenezar you are looking for and his wife died in the Poor House in Paisley. I don't have my notes in front of me right now but I do know they were there.

Hmmm... I'll try to find out. The last trail I have of them, is both living in Paisley on 111 George Street in 1851, and then she lives alone on 25 Queen Street in 1861 (which is just around the corner). They have both disappeared in 1871.
I assume he died somewhere between 1851 and 1861, and she the next decade. he records in Scotland are painfully lacking though...