Author Topic: Rev William Holmes  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Sitkasky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev William Holmes
« on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information pertaining to William Holmes , possibly born Islandmagee (have also heard Scotland) was the preacher at Ballyeaston born 1739. Married about 1769 Catherine Hunter of Islandmagee. He died 30 Nov 1823.
NOT sure of their children and not sure WHO Williams father and mother are. I DO have a DNA connection to this line. So MY last known link was Thomas Holmes b. 1776. THEN it jumps to Rev William.. not to be confused with Rev William Holmes (known as "The Meek" of Donegal)
Hope someone can help me fill this gap between Thomas and Rev William.
thank you
Carolyn
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev William Holmes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Second Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church: "Mr. William Holmes, a native of Ramelton (lic. Moira and Lisburn) was ordained on 29 June 1768... Through his wife Catherine Hunter he acquired the farms and mills of Mr. Robert Hunter of the Gobbins and retired in 1813 to live at Whitehouse, Islandmagee where he died on 30 Nov.1823 at the age of eighty-one. ..."
- A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982

It's possible records in the Fasti of the Presbyterian Church might give his father's name. Presbyterian Historical Historical Society, Belfast has the Fasti and possibly additional information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 January 16 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Carolyn

To add to what "Aghadowey" has said - it also states in the book "Presbyterians in Ireland An Illustrated History" by Laurence Kirkpatrick - "Rev.William Holmes (1768-1813), Second Ballyeaston, was inadequately paid and undertook preaching duties in Larne and Islandmagee. He played a prominent part in the Volunteers and, in 1798, formed and trained the Ballyeaston Yeomanry".  It also states that "Second Islandmagee was a Seceder congregation formed as a result of the labours of Rev.William Holmes of Ballyeaston - the first church was built in 1796 - the Seceder minister preached on alternate Sundays in Larne and Islandmagee".
Brown1777

Offline lweekes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Rev. William Holmes came to Northern Ireland from Isle of Wight. He was born 1739?
He married Catherine Hunter and had at least 3 children Margaret, Fannie and William.  This William, William Senior's son, married first Sarah Tweed and had 6 children.   
 His second marriage was to Henrietta Shaw from Ballygally Castle. They had eight children.  William and Henrietta Shaw are my great great grandparents.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure he came from Isle of Wight?

Other sources indicate 'native of Donegal'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lweekes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Rev. William Holmes who married Catherine Hunter was born 1739 in Ramelton, Co. Donegal, he died 30th November 1823 at Islandmagee, Co. Antrim.  The father ofRev. William Holmes was believed to have migrated to Northern Ireland from the Isle of Wight.  Holmes was an esgeemed name on the Isle of Wight. The Governor between 1668 and 1692 was an Admiral Sir Robert Holmes who was mentioned in the diaries of Samuel Pepys.

Have some more info on Holmes family,  this is all recorded on info left by an Aunt of mine whose grandmother was a Henrietta Holmes married to James Hutchinson.

Hope this is of interest to you

Linda Weekes