Author Topic: Kane/Cain/ O'Kane Kilcoobin and Ardihannon  (Read 2938 times)

Offline karenkane2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kane/Cain/ O'Kane Kilcoobin and Ardihannon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 December 16 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Several DNA matches (level 2 in family tree dna) indicate my family came from the Dungiven, Ballintoy area.  I have hit a brick wall confirming my most distant ancestor's parents and confirming their home town in Northern Ireland.  Hugh Carson Kane was born in Western Pennsylvania in 1797.  There was both a James Kane and a Hugh Carson living in Allegheny Co who were probably soldiers awarded the land for fighting in the Revolutionary War.  I can't confirm this by the 1800 census since, while James Kane did have a son the right age,  names of children weren't listed on the census at that time.  Assuming both men, James and Hugh Carson(who I suspect was his mother's father since the men in my Kane family often take their mother's maiden name as their middle name), emigrated from Antrim County are there any records from that early time of emigration to America? Eventually I'll look in early Protestant church records around modern day Pittsburgh.  For now, I'm thinking about coming to the genealogy conference next August in Coleraine. Thanks for any ideas. Karen

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 December 16 21:12 GMT (UK) »
karenkane2,
                   Hello Karen,
       You mention DNA tests, have you any YDNA tests for one of the Kane men in your family ?
   The family that I was working with from Ardihannin in Billy Parish have tested and i think that they are included in the Cain Kane project at ftdna.
   Records prior to 1800 are extremely difficult to find in Northern Ireland, there are very few Church records prior to 1800 and the same goes for shipping records. billmacafee.com has a collection of most of the surviving records for Northern and mid Antrim but again one has to treat these with caution as they do not cover all areas. I suggest that the Protestant Householder Report of 1740 is a good starting point. Also remember that the Kane name was taking several forms about this time , O'kane , Cahan , Cain and O'cahane .
   I have a similar problem, I have a Dna match with a Taylor in Pennsylvania who died in 1800 and must have travelled to the US about 1745-55 but I have failed to find his origin in Nth Antrim dispite sustained research.
   I attended the Ulster Historical Society Research conference in Belfast in june and found it very helpfull, one has access to the records at PRONI from this conference. Just meeting with the researchers in northern Ireland is very usefull. I don't know what form the conference in Coleraine takes but you might find it helpfull too.
   One of the best books on the subject is Dr William Roulston's "Researching Scots-Irish Ancestors" It is available from uhf.org.uk
  Good luck in your search
 Wyanga   
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 December 16 22:51 GMT (UK) »
karenkane2
                 These are the names in a 1734 religious census for Ballintoy

130   O'Kane   O Cahan   Chas.   Chief Tenant            Ballinlea   Ballinlea O Cahan
131   O'Kane   O Cahan   Wm.   Terr Tenant   1         Ballinlea   Ballinlea O Cahan
135   O'Kane   O Cahan   Michael   Terr Tenant   1         Ballinlea   Ballinlea O Cahan
188   O'Kane   O Cahan   James   Terr Tenant         1   Islandmacallan   Illandmakallan
189   O'Kane   O Cahan   Roger   Terr Tenant         1   Islandmacallan   Illandmakallan
299   O'Kane   O Cahan   Robt.   Terr Tenant   1         Ballynastraid   Ballynastraidmore

These are the names in an 1766 religious census for Ballintoy

168   Kane   o'Cahan   Charles   Ballinlea   Protestant
169   Kane   o'Cahan   Danl   Ballinlea   Protestant
170   Kane   o'Cahan   Chas, younger   Ballinlea   Protestant
228   Kane   o'Cahan   Francis   Islandmacallan   Protestant
342   Kane   o'Cahan   Jams   Ballynastraid [Ballinstraid]   Protestant
379   Kane   o'Kane   Jn   Currysheskin [Coulrashiskan]   Papist

See if there are any names that ring any bells for you
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 03:42 GMT (UK) »
karenkane2
                 Hi karen, try and identify just where you ancestors came from in Northern ireland. I have given you names for Ballintoy Parish in Co Antrim.
   Dungiven is in Co Derry (Londonderry)

The small market town of Dungiven (meaning Given's Fort) lies nine miles south of Limavady near the foot of Benbradagh mountain. Originally the seat of the O'Cahan Clan, Dungiven Priory, overlooking a 200ft precipice on the River Roe, was founded in 1100AD and contains the tomb of Cooey-na-Gall, an ancient Chieftan of the O'Cahan clan.

No doubt you may have had ancestors from here, but it would have been a very long time ago,
When researching in Nth Ireland the essennsial information is County, Parish, Townland. Then if possible the birthdate and place of your earliest known ancestor.
   This is the other Family History conference that I mentioned run by Ulster historical Foundation.

Running from 14-21 June 2017 and 06-13 September 2017, our conferences offer a new programme which combines a varied and exciting mix of tours which will take in the spectacular scenery and historical sites of Ireland and research opportunities in the archives (including PRONI,  the National Library and National Archives in Dublin) and talks from acknowledged experts.
Wyanga

Offline Sean T Traynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ramoan Roots and more
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Causeway Coast & Glens Family History Society Conference is being held 25 to 29th September, 2017
Traynor/Trainor, McDade, Kirkwood, McSheffrey County Antrim.
Stewart of Carndaisy, McKee and Warnock of Armaghbrague, Nummey, McKee of Newry,  Jemphrey Bessbrook -Belfast, Dolan,Mulvanny, Boylan and Walsh of Ardbraccan, Navan. McMaster, McKelvey of Comber, Belfast and Greencastle. McClean of Whitehouse. Welsh/Walsh Newtownards, Belfast.

Offline karenkane2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wyanga
Thanks so much for all the helpful information.  I've tried to read a little about the history of the area and the waves of migration hoping to deepen my understanding of why people left and the politics around why they would drop the O from their name.  I think there was a famine in 1740 that drove many abroad.  I used my brother, Robert Daniel Kane, for the Family Tree dna test kit 415679.  On FTdna I have joined several projects including the Cain and the McCain project which was recommended by Barry McCain as well as the McHenry and Carson projects.  In the McCain project we fell into the O'Cahane group. Sadly, my closest match Level 1 seems to have become inactive , his ancestor Alexander Cain was born  in 1824 in Northern Ireland. On level 2, I have a John McHenry from Dungiven and a William Kane born 1828 in Ballintoy. It has been hard looking on "both sides of the pond" to trace and document an ancestor who came before 1800. For a long time I thought we must be McCain's from Scotland but finding out we were from the O'Cahanes around Ulster was quite exciting.    My mother's side (Huguenot), my father's mother side (English), and my father's grandmother's side (Scottish) I've traced back to colonial America in the 1600s but they were from families with great genealogical research.  I joined  the North of Ireland Family History Society recently which has opened up new avenues. Again, thanks so much.  I really appreciate learning of your work.  Karen

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 February 17 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

Very interested to hear of your interest in Kanes from Ballintoy. Hope you make it over to the conference in Coleraine in September as I will be there! My Kane family traces back to Robert born around 1795 and have a dna match to the Ardihannon Kanes.

AKane

Offline karenkane2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 February 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Still thinking about going to the conference and wondering if I know enough yet.  What dna test group did you join?