Author Topic: Whiteside family of Whitehaven  (Read 998 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Whiteside family of Whitehaven
« on: Monday 01 February 16 21:22 GMT (UK) »
A long shot request ... for any information regarding one JOHN WILSON WHITESIDE, born in Whitehaven Sep Q 1901. I'm trying to determine if this is the JWW who married an ancestor of mine in Manchester, 1925 and who may, soon afterwards, have lived for a time in Northern Ireland.
Grateful for any info or suggestions.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whiteside family of Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 16 21:38 GMT (UK) »
don't think he's your chap, given this

John Wilson Whiteside
Q3  1901
Age at Death:    0
Whitehaven  Vol 10b, p520

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 16 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks indeed for your speedy response which, as you say, rules this John Wilson Whiteside out as the husband of one of my ancestors. The lady concerned was born in 1891, so would have been ten years older than the Whitehaven JWW. Oh well - as we seem to say frequently in family history research - back to the drawing board!
Thanks again, and best wishes from Cornwall.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 01:12 GMT (UK) »
so your man is this one.

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1925
Surname   Forename(s)   Surname   Forename(s)   Church / Register Office   Registers At   Reference
WHITESIDE   John Wilson   BUCKLEY   Sarah   Manchester, St. Ann & St. Mary   Manchester   85/3/2

i note you already knew this,,so maybe you need to order the marriage certificate?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Sarah was a Queen Alexandra nurse. After the war she remained in the service's reserve. On her marriage, she was 'weeded', as married women were excluded. Correspondence between the QAs and Sarah showed her married name, and an address in Belfast. You are quite right - my next step has to be to order up the marriage cert. At the moment, I'm predicting that JWW will turn out to be originally from Ulster.
Thanks again for your reply, and best wishes.