Author Topic: Marriage of John Burrows and Mary Ann Wrigley  (Read 2158 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Burrows and Mary Ann Wrigley
« on: Tuesday 02 February 16 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I'd be grateful for any assistance in identifying the record of the marriage of John Burrows and Mary Ann Wrigley, probably in about 1806 but possibly as early as 1803.

They baptised their children (or at least, the two that I know of) at the Helen's Lane Meeting House in Colchester; but there is also a family association with Coggeshall. I have, however, been through the transcripts of the Coggeshall marriage registers on the Coggeshall museum website and they do not appear to have been married there - so Colchester would seem to be the front runner, but is very far from being a racing certainty.

I believe that Mary Ann Wrigley was probably the widow of William Wrigley, and he must have died between 1802 and 1808. I have not had much joy finding a burial for him in Essex either. It is possible that he died up north (Wrigley is a northern name, after all) and she only came South after his death - if so then pinnin gher down may prove exceedingly difficult.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Burrows and Mary Ann Wrigley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Didn't find a marriage in any of the colchester parish church records.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 09:33 GMT (UK) »
William Wrigley married Mary Ann Mills 4 September 1800 at St Nicholas Colchester. Ref family search.
Looked it up in register of St Nicholas, #395 William Wigley (sp) to Mary Ann Mills
banns published 20,27 April and 4 May. Married 4 September 1800, witnesses were John South and (Sarah-looks like) Golding. All signed.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 08:59 GMT (UK) »
There was a William WIGLEY buried 19th January, 1807 in St. Giles, Colchester, no age given.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 February 16 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Mary Mills is possibly the daughter of Joseph and Sarah Mills, born 14 July 1778 baptized 28th at St Nicholas.
Joseph Mills married Sarah Jackson 23 April 1767 by license, St Nicholas, witness Thomas Dye and Benjamin Crissenwood.
If this is the right one they also had a daughter Susanna born 28 March 1770 baptized 18 April.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh ... thanks guys. That's all EXCELLENT information.

Those marriage witnesses, amondg ... are you SURE it's Golding?? Might it actually be Gooding?? (There are close family links with the Gooding family ... one more would come as no surprise ... )
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 06:43 GMT (UK) »
I took another look and to me its Golding, it's difficult sometimes.

I noticed that John Burrows son Joseph born 25 June 1811 married Hannah Gooding, daughter of Samuel.
From the newspaper he had to pay a fine in 1840 of 20 shillings for assaulting his father in law Samuel Gooding. Ref ancestry.com
It also explains the apprentice Benjamin Gooding age 16 living with John Burrows (JR) and his wife Maria nee Andrews in Coggeshall on the 1841 census.
Is the James Randall Burrowes (sp) born 8 June 1807 to John and Mary baptized at the Independent Church on Stockwell Street a third child?

Added:
You may have to get the marriages of John and Joseph from the National Archives if they married in the independent church, the Essex Record Office does not have copies.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 07:27 GMT (UK) »
That's the right family, amondg!

Many thanks for the reference to James Randall Burrowes. I wasn't aware of him, but he does look like another child - although if he was born on 8 June 1807, and Mary Ann's first husband was indeed the William Wigley who was buried at St Giles, Colchester on 19 January 1807 (and I think he probably was) then James Randall Burrows was in fact William Wrigley's son, not John Burrows' son (at least, I hope he was!).

John (son of Mary Ann) and Maria lived on Stockwell Street in Coggeshall and were almost certainly members of the Independent Church on Stockwell Street, so it all fits. There is reason to believe that John who married Mary Ann Wrigley may have been in Coggeshall in 1802. There is a possible father for him in a John Burrows who was buried in Colchester in 1810, and then possible grandparents and great grandparents suggested by 18th century Burrows burials in Coggeshall and Bradwell juxta Coggeshall - but I have yet to find any definite evidence of a link to any of these.

In the 1841 census you will have noticed that John Burrows was a shoemaker, Benjamin Gooding an apprentice, and that John and Maria Burrows' oldest son was also John Burrows. In the 1851 census this John Burrows (even more junior) is to be found in the East End of London ... in the household of Benjamin Gooding, shoemaker, and described as Benjamin's nephew! It's slightly more complicated than that ... but Benjamin Gooding is obviously the younger brother of Joseph Burrows' wife, and therefore son of the Samuel Gooding whom Joseph Burrows assaulted!

Out of interest ... how did you deduce that Maria Burrows was nee Andrews from the 1841 census, if you didn't have the marriage (or did you find this from an online tree?) John Burrows married Maria Andrews in Braintree on 1 August 1830.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 05:26 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of John Burrows to Maria Andrews is on familysearch.
Then I looked it up, it's number 455 in the register of St Michael Archangel Braintree, (C of E not Independent) both were of the parish John and witness William G---? signed, Marie and witness Elizabeth Frost made their mark.

Are any of them related to the Southminster Burrows as there is a John Burrows baptized 23 December 1810 father Joseph Burrows mother Ann Randal.
Ref the James Randall Burrowes of 1807 Colchester. of John and Mary