Author Topic: newbie help required  (Read 1085 times)

Offline abluey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
newbie help required
« on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
 Good afternoon,i have been doing my family tree on and off for a while now and i am totally stuck,i have grandfathers birth certificate which gives names of parents but i cannot find his mother (B,M or D) the family story is that she died in childbirth with my grandfather......or shortly after.

To add to the problem grandfather was born in England but his father and rest of the family is Scottish,so i am not sure where grandfathers mother was born or where parents got married ( if they did) or where his mother died.

thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any help given.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: newbie help required
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, if you can give details of who is shown on the birth certificate, including occupation of father we may be able to help you, this assuming the names of possibly living people are not mentioned?!
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi & welcome to Rootschat

Can you give us a few names, dates and parishes and hopefully someone may be able to find them.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline abluey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Grandfather name is Martin Beck Brown born 4/3/1927 in Wharf street Stockton on Tees
his mother was Hannah Beck (mn) Brown possible married name,no age etc
his father was James Brown born Nov 1888 in Scotland.died 1960 +/_ a year
family history goes they were concert hall artists, i do have photos of them in cowboy costumes

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if either of these gems are any help at all:
A James Brown married a Beck in late 1917 in Dartford, - but she was an Ada, not a Hannah.
A James Brown was born in Berwick upon tweed - not too far up from Stockton in 1888, with father John Brown, grocer, and mother Mary Ann (English). They were married in Durham on 26th September 1857, according to ancestry records, so that seems a very l-o-n-g family!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline abluey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Threlfall yorky but James was born in Scotland as i have the all the family documents on that side,but its my grandfather's mother Hannah i just cant seem to find anything on

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, were their possibly any children born prior to Martin, as I see quite a few with Brown/Beck?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Did the family stay in the British Isles, or did they emigrate to Australia/ U.S.A., etc? There's so many James Browns b Scotland with approximately the right dates, that a bit more might help. You suggest "Beck" may have been the surname of Mum Hannah, and I read it as possibly already a married name, is that what you mean? May not have been her maiden name, and she may have had an earlier marriage?
I've got pics of several of my ancestors all dressed up as eastern potentates, "Red" Indians, Pierrots, etc, from about that period. It seemed to be a bit of an epidemic, not just professionals, but many amateurs put on concert parties, so don't worry too much about that as a line to pursue yet.
Just seen the post, the area round Berwick did seem to slide between Scotland and England - that's why I mentioned it. Glad you've got James' side pinned - so it's Hannah (possibly Beck) that we're after.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
You suggest "Beck" may have been the surname of Mum Hannah, and I read it as possibly already a married name, is that what you mean? May not have been her maiden name, and she may have had an earlier marriage?

According to Martin's birth registration, his mother's maiden name was Beck.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)