Author Topic: newbie help required  (Read 1086 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: newbie help required
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
family history goes they were concert hall artists, i do have photos of them in cowboy costumes

The father's occupation should be on Martin's birth certificate - does that help at all?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline abluey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:05 GMT (UK) »
there is a possibility of an older child but none that i have heard about within the family.

Hannah's maiden name on the birth certificate is Beck and married Brown,its a kind of Scottish tradition to use mothers maiden name as childs middle name hense Martins name.

I understand the dressing up for the photographs just thought that with the mention concert hall connection maybe something in it,as i have photos of James' parents who were in the salvation army and photos of an aunt who was a fortune teller.....(crystal ball and all )

Offline abluey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a Hannah B Brown death in march 1928 in durham (10 a 471) parish aged 45 .....this is where is gets expensive searching and looking up records

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Where did James & Martin (and any other child/ren) live after Hannah's death - was it Scotland? 

Have you looked for a Scottish marriage for James & Hannah on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

What was James' occupation according to Martin's birth certificate?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I have a Hannah B Brown death in march 1928 in durham (10 a 471) parish aged 45 .....this is where is gets expensive searching and looking up records

Hi again, spotted that one, but suggests Hannah was born c 1883 and if Martin was first child, a bit old for a first child /marriage?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline abluey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi keyboard 86 yes they lived in Scotland after Hannah's death.....departure....its all a bit murky i was told as a child by my grandfather who was explaining the family connections (ie his daughter was my mother etc) that he grew up without a mum i was heartbroken as a child would be and it has always stuck with me,when my grandparents died they had every birth,marriage,death certificate going along with photos but nothing on Hannah except the name on my grandfathers birth certificate.

I have been on Scotlands people and found 78 births for a Hannah Brown 69 deaths.....just trying to narrow down the possibilities and cost.

i also thought that the Hannah death in Durham was out of the natural child birthing times of the era.

On another note.....depending on how you look at it....i was told by a spiritulist that Hannah in fact left the family with an older son after a dispute and monies went walking with her,but i have found no evidence of this

Offline abluey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh Martins explanation for growing up without a mother was she died in child birth.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 February 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clearing up where I'd got a bit confused - still hunting for her ....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)