Author Topic: Edmonton Union Workhouse  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmonton Union Workhouse
« on: Friday 05 February 16 10:58 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1841 Census, four of my relatives were in the Edmonton Union Workhouse. They were all children, their father, Charles GAME, having been transported to Tasmania in 1835. The children were: Mary GAME (12), Charles GAME (11), Charlotte GAME (9), and Emma GAME (7).

Their mother was not in the workhouse. She had evidently set up home with a William SMITH with whom she had another three children, before eventually marrying him in 1843.

I would really like to see the records for their admission and eventual discharge from the workhouse, if anybody knows where those records are located. An online reference would be ideal.

Also, whilst I can find the three elder children in 1851, I can't find Emma. She reappears in 1861, having married a Thomas Kirkham/Kirkum in 1858.

Another problem is that I can't find a birth or baptism record for Emma. Her siblings were all baptised at All Saints, Edmonton.

Any help, gratefully received.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonton Union Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Lots about the workhouse here:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Edmonton/
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I found that site, which has you say has lots of useful general information, but doesn't seem to point to the location of the admission and discharge records.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 16 12:36 GMT (UK) »
The admission and discharge registers, if they exist for that period, will most likely be at the London Metropolitan Archives.  Ancestry have digitised and indexed some of the Workhouse records from the LMA, but Edmonton isn't currently one that is available.  You'd need to check the LMA's catalogue to see if they hold any for that period.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thomas William Kirkum
married
Emma Game
14/12/1858
St Luke's Old church

Emma died in 1904 and had at least 9 children
Thomas died 1899
Both in Finchley

Emma shows her father as Charles, also place on birth a census as Kingsland but I wonder if she knew

1843 Charlotte was a widow, assumption on her part no doubt if he was transported

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London