Author Topic: Shaw  (Read 11172 times)

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 11 February 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »
On the 9th February 1792 the Rev James Thomson, Minister of the parish of Balmaclellan carried
out a census of his parish.
One family living at Barbshalloch No2 is .....
Samuel Shaw age 42
Janet Gibson  age 30
William Shaw  age 10
Samuel Shaw  age 6
Ann Smith      age 60.

No further detail given,but this would appear to be  Samuel Shaw & Janet Gibson the parents recorded in the death record above.
Rgds Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 11 February 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
For parent Samuel Shaw it reads shepard after-what does this mean .Is it a title or name connected to Shaw last name.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 11 February 16 16:39 GMT (UK) »
That was his occupation - looked after sheep. Much of the terrain in Kirkcudbrightshire is hilly and, accordingly, there is a lot of livestock farming.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 11 February 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I found Samuel Shaw senior on site that says he was born Jan. 19.1748. Parents: Katherine Fergusson and David Shaw. This Samuel died Oct.28, 1809, age 61. Curry,Balmaclellan. Sons John 5/1/1782 and Samuel 1787. I am going to try to locate David and Katherine.

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 11 February 16 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Found a David Shaw 12/13/1730 Ayshire. Parents John 32 and Margaret28. Wonder if these are right for Samuel's father David.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 11 February 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
One thing to remember is that the Old Parish Records  in Scotland are very patchy in their coverage. I think it might be difficult to prove that David Shaw was the father  of your Samuel Shaw. The birth of a Samuel Shaw Jan 19 1748 was in the parish of Kells - it names the father as David Shaw but not his mother. There is a marriage in Kells in 1735 of a David Shaw and a Katherine Fergusson - I suspect it has been inferred from this that they were his parents but as I say the further back you go in Scotland the more problematic it becomes. ( The birth you found in Ayrshire is unlikely as he would be too young).

Which site did you find the information about David Shaw on? I wonder what their source is for Samuel Shaw's death in 1809.

I think you can be confident of having the correct family as far back as Samuel Shaw/ Janet Gibson.  As I say anything before that will be difficult to prove (and can I say that this is further back than I have got with my own family and I am a Scot!).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 11 February 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Was hoping to go far back but like you say maybe that is it. Thank you for information.

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
Found information for Mary Shaw Bennett, daughter to Nicholas ( Mary) Laing Shaw and Samuel Shaw.. Mary went to Oshkosh in 1852 with son Samuel Shaw. Mary married James Bennett and they had a child Nickliss (Nellie) in 1854. Nellie married Jessie Charles Osborne 23 Dec. 1876. Oshkosh. Nellie died in 1951.  Mary Shaw Bennett died 17 Sept. 1898. Nicholas Laing Shaw died in Oshkosh 25 March 1863.  Samuel, son of Mary Shaw Bennett, married Laura Webb in Fond du Lac Wisconsin and they lived in Omro until moving to Madison Wisconsin where he was a teacher at the high school. By 1900 they lived in Crandon Wisconsin with children. He founded Crandon Wisconsin. In 1910 Samuel was a lawyer. He also founded the Forest Republican newspaper in Crandon.
On 1860 census for Oshkosh it shows Mary Bennett age 37, Samuel Shaw age 18 and Nickliss Bennett age 5.

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 01 May 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaw Clingan,

My line of Shaw came from Parton and Balmaclellan and Kells areas of Kirkcudbrightshire. Not fully read all on this topic.

Regards

Tom Shaw