Author Topic: Recent will help please  (Read 378 times)

Offline vicnscott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recent will help please
« on: Tuesday 09 February 16 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I was doing some random searches and came across a notice from the Gazette regarding a woman I strongly believe was my mums auntie, she died in 2004 without a will. It says the claim must be made by July 2004 for her estate. Obviously we are well passed this date!  Is there anything I can do? Is there any point in contacting them? I just feel so sad that a relative has died and she had noone close enough to her to leave a will 😢
My Mums father died when she was 17 and unfortunatly over time his family drifted away from my mums. My mums uncle died in 2000 and his wife Florence (mums auntie) died 2004. She was her auntie by marriage.
Just feel incredibly sad about the whole thing really.
Atterill

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Recent will help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
and she had noone close enough to her to leave a will

Many people without relatives etc still make a will.  Clearly this lady either chose not to do so or no will can be found.

A solicitor will have been appointed to act for her estate and to make all necessary enquiries to establish if any relatives can be found.  After a period of advertising and research etc - her estate will pass to the Crown

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h1a/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)