Author Topic: Nottinghamshire records  (Read 632 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottinghamshire records
« on: Thursday 11 February 16 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been researching a family from the Nottinghamshire area (Basford, Shirebrook Kirby in Ashfield) and have found so many family members, all of whom are miners and all who use the same few Christian names - so I am now totally baffled. What I want to know is, if I came to Nottingham are there local records that might hep me? I know I can send for the certificates (post 1837) but as I have so many possible people, who might be from the family I am researching, this would be very expensive. I once did this in Ireland and found the original records for all B M D's kept in the local record office - is there anything like this in England and more especially in the Nottinghamshire area? Thanks

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Nottinghamshire records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 16 18:18 GMT (UK) »
You can go to the Nottingham archives and view the church records. That won't help you if you don't know which church to look at, or the marriages took place in the registry office! Of course the archives office holds lots of other records that might be useful too, eg copies of wills, old directories etc.

You can also post a couple of names on here and I for one will happily check on my CD to see if I can help untangle anything (and I know others here have the same or better resources and will also help, it's what we're here for -- to help each other!)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 16 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been researching a family from the Nottinghamshire area (Basford, Shirebrook Kirby in Ashfield)

Are the family b Basford or are their births registered Basford
Basford is a town in Nottinghamshire
also
Basford is a registration district which covers parts of Nottinghamshire and parts of Derbyshire

Shirebrook would probably be in Derbyshire records

Please post some names and d.o.b. and p.o.b and we may be able to find more information for you

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 16 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thank you Annie65115 & Suzard for the information and your offers of looking up information. I have decided to sent for a couple of the possible marriage certificates as then at least I will know the right father. So I may get back to you when I have something a little more concrete to go on. Really appreciate your offers of help though.