Author Topic: NELSON FULLUM Washintgon Co. PA  (Read 1561 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NELSON FULLUM Washintgon Co. PA
« on: Saturday 13 February 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
HI everyone I'm doing research into the above who was born c1770 in Washington Co. PA.  He died in 1828/9 and I have his will here which mentions his wife Magdalene/y and one son William FULLUM.  I cannot find on the 1830/1840 Census any mention of Magda or son William anywhere.

On the 1850 Census in Kiskimintas in Armstrong Co. there is a William FULLER with wife Christina and a JOHN, SARAH and Magdalene/a FULLER living next door.

I have a probate record of Magdalena FULLEM who died in 1853 where she mentions all of her son's.  She was then living in Indiana County, she is buried in the Frye Cemetery, Nashville IN.

On her headstone it reads MAGDALENE FULLER wife of NELSON died May 1853, her will was made in Feb 1853 and probated in June of that year. Her son William and his wife Christina are also buried there.

We are now trying to match records that have this Magadalina FULLER (aka FULLEM/FULLUM) as being the wife of Nelson FULLUM who lived all his life in Washington Co. PA, was a farmer and appears on the 1820 Census as head of household there.  We think that the family are African-American.  We think that this couple just MAY be our HENRY FULLER'S parents.  Perhaps the name has gone between Fullum/Fullem and Fuller. 

Any suggestions how to join the dot's would be very much appreciated.  Kindest regards Dianna from Australia

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: NELSON FULLUM Washintgon Co. PA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 16 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you Google his full name - you may find a clue that way. 

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 01:04 GMT (UK) »
HI Thanks done all of that already, that's always the first thing I do.  Regards Dianna

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 16 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi haney:

I don't know who was chosen as witnesses for American wills, but have you tried to follow up on John Strain and/or John Matur, Jr. to see how they were connected to the Fullum family?  Perhaps a lead could be obtained from that angle?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 February 16 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi That is a good suggestion I will follow up on that thanks for the clue as I cannot seem to find a burial/headstone etc for Nelson FULLUM as yet. Regards Dianna

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 16 02:53 GMT (UK) »
While I haven't seen anything (yet) for John Strain, Jr., John Strain Sr. had a long will (?) on one of the pay sites.  I've only read a few wills, so I am not familiar with them (especially American wills), but Mr. Strain appears to have either owed a lot of people, or he had a complex way of doing things as there are numerous pages.

I'll continue to have a look around later tonight.  In the meantime, perhaps you or someone else might find something.

PS  Perhaps his headstone was damaged long ago?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)