Author Topic: Eric Thompson Stobbs. Death 1944 South Shields. Place of burial/cremation?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Thompson Stobbs. Death 1944 South Shields. Place of burial/cremation?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 16 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Apololgies!  The church is St. Peter's, Harton. 

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 16 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Again , thanks so much for the replies. Really helpful as I feel like I'm going round in circles.
We did visit the Tyne and Wear Archives over the Summer and found Eric's death, and casue of death, recorded in the hospital record book.
I have emailed them today as, searching their Indexes, they appear to have the mortuary records for 1944, and there should be a record of who they signed his body over to ie an Undertakers name or name of a relative, which might point us in a geographical direction.
My Husband visited the library at South Shields over the Summer and checked the original burial registers (on microfiche) for Harton cemetry, but not Westoe. I will contact the South Tyneside registrars and see what I can find out.
As I said, the Stobbs family were strong Primitive methodists up in Weardale, and I notice that there were several PM chapels in SS and also a lot of Stobbs'. I'm wondering if  this may be one of the reasons Eric ended up at South Shields, however, it could have been that his brother, Arnold, who was the Doctor, was working in that area at the time. As far as I'm aware, after Eric went into Harton, Arnold became estranged from his siblings and their families. Does anyone know if there is a cemetry in the area where PM's may have been more likely to be buried? Again , thank you for all the help, it's much appreciated. Susan
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found out that Erics estate of £140 went to my Grandmother, Nellie, who as I said was living at Escomb at the time of Eric's death, and it is that address that's on the probate record for Eric.It seems likely that she may have been involved when he died.

There's a cemetery at Escomb - have you looked at the burial register there?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jen B. Yes, we have looked but the Church is no longer there, and, apart from around the war memorial, it's not maintained at all and a riot of brambles etc. Almost impossible to navigate and many of the headstones are laid flat or propped against the wall. The majority of the burials there were well before 1944.
I discovered last night that Eric's brother Joseph Arnold,who was a Doctor, took over as the Doctor in Charge at Stannington Childrens Sanitorium/Hospital in 1944, but not sure what month, but probably after Eric's death in the February. I think at the time Eric went into Harton Arnold was living down South. Have searched the historic GMC register of Doctors and he is on the register in 1927, 1955 and 1959. The records only cover every 4th year. Don't know why he wasn't on it from 1932-50.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jen B. Yes, we have looked but the Church is no longer there, and, apart from around the war memorial, it's not maintained at all and a riot of brambles etc.

What I meant was have you looked at the register of burials?

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 13:29 GMT (UK) »
No, I haven't looked at the register of burials. I'm a beginner and not really sure where to locate all of these registers, or where to look to find them.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 14:37 GMT (UK) »
No, I haven't looked at the register of burials.

That's where you need to look - as you say, there aren't too many stones at Escomb Cemetery and you can't use that as a guide to who is actually buried there.

Why not email the relevant department at Durham County Council?  They say that 'A Register of Burials is available from the Council’s Bereavement Services Offices'. You know Eric's date of death, so you can provide them with a pretty narrow window within which to search. Email address is on p.2 here http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h2x/ 

I see you have said his mother is at Burtreeford. Have you looked at the burial registers there, in addition to the inscriptions? if not, you could include that if you email Durham County Council.

It's worth a try  :D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Eric lived in St Johns Chapel in Weardale (Stanhope) until the death of his Father and Step Mother in 1934.

Just for the record, Eric was still at St John's Chapel in Weardale in 1939.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Eric lived in St Johns Chapel in Weardale (Stanhope) until the death of his Father and Step Mother in 1934.

Just for the record, Eric was still at St John's Chapel in Weardale in 1939.

How do you know ? I guess what I meant was that he could no longer live with his father and step mother and he wasn't able to live alone.Certainly by 1939 none of his siblings or parents/ step parents were left up in Weardale.
I only have the information given to me by my Dad, and Dad was only born in 1932, but Eric definitely lived with them at Howlish Hall ,at least part time, when Dad was 4 or 5 (I have photographs) and I also know that almost immediately prior to Eric going into Harton his address was at Ireshope in Escomb, with my Grandparents and Dad. Eric may have been spending some time living with my Grandfathers' family, but I always thought that they were living in Ireshopeburn by 1939, having moved out of Chapel View in St Johns. Dad also spent some time in Weardale around the time of the war, living with his Grandmother Elliott and Aunt