Author Topic: Copes of Berkshire  (Read 698 times)

Offline Sue Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Copes of Berkshire
« on: Monday 15 February 16 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from a first-timer! I am trying to forge links between my Joseph Cope b1795 Hungerford and George Cope b 1831 Thatcham. George's father is purported to be Thomas, but I have no record of Joseph's father's name.  The link may be further back but I have a good dollop of shared DNA and suspect this may be the common line. If anyone had any further Berks records that they could help by filling in some of the gaps around either Joseph or George or their respective parents I would greatly appreciate it!

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Copes of Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Welcome to Rootschat - I'm sure you will find many helpers here.

The Familysearch.org has the records for Hungerford but I could not see a bapt. for your Joseph in 1795 or thereabouts. Do you have any other info of where he may have come from?

They do list a mar. to a Charlotte Gibbs 12-8-1816 which may be  your Joseph. and going further I can see about 5-6 children being baptised to them from 1817 to 1830.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Are you trying to connect the George Cope c 1831 who died 1921?

1851 Census
York, York County, Canada West (Ontario), Canada
JOHN Cope 1803
CATHERINE Cope 1798
THOS Cope 1829
GEORGE Cope 1831***
All born England
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Sorry my Sub wont let me access this on Anc.

A Tree has this Family emigrating when George was 2 and his Burial Notice says this too.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sue Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
Maybe - I am trying to connect to a George Cope b 1831 Thatcham, Berks, died 1921 Michigan USA. My subs doesn't allow me to see the Canadian census but the tree I am looking at trying to connect to certainly has that census record, which lists George as 21 at the time. But this tree has no emigration records - if I can find the right one then if he emigrated at 2 it should have both mother and father, which is one step further than I have now :)

Offline Sue Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ribbo, thanks
Your post has made me have a hard look at what I have! I did have that marriage, but I had thought that they must have been from two different couples. Several reasons for this, not the least being that I have Joseph Cope's death as 1822. There's also a large gap between the birth of Jane in 1822 and Elizabeth in 1831, not to mention Jane and the first few kids were born in Hungerford and the last 3 in Leek, Staffordshire. And still no George, although he would fit in the middle...argh. too confusing!