Author Topic: Elusive Ancestor - What next? Help!  (Read 3781 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Ancestor - What next? Help!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 14:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry for a Henry Allwood son of Henry Allwood and Sarah Taylor born 1865 in Manchester. In 1871 he is living in Manchester with his father (shown as married) and three siblings - all the children shown as born Salford ( there is a matching birth for a Henry Allwood in Salford on FreeBMD). By 1881 Henry ( age 16)  is working as a Page in the vicarage in Little Eaton, Derbyshire.
I am fairly confident that Henry Holland and Henry Allwood are one and the same person.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Nikita1985

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again everyone.... The MOD have now confirmed that my Gt Grandfather Frederick Holland served in WW2 as 'Frederick Holland' and the reason I received documents for a 'Harold Allwood' also is because they have evidence that he served during WW1 under an alias. (Harold Allwood) They are posting me what they have to support this. This all ties in with the information from Isobel and I have my detective hat back on to continue the search!

I'll close this post out now but I dare say I will be back!

Thanks again,
Nikita

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi my great grandfather was William Henry Holland who was bother to Frederick Holland William's mother was Mary Ann Holland that lived in derby town centre working as a hawker who live at a now demolished George yard which I walked down and where my family and great grandmother walked making money for her family it ft amazing  :)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 March 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Nikita: if the information that he had been married 13 years in 1911 is accurate, and he was living with his family in Derby, then I think I'd take a punt on the following marriage which surely merits further investigation:

George Henry Holland married Mary Ann King or Gertrude Helen Taylor: Registered  Derbyshire, Belper 1897 Q1 volume 7B page 750

We can rule out Gertrude Helen Taylor because:

George Henry Holland married Mary Ann King in Ironville in 1897: Derbyshire Registrars Marriage Index ICC/02/044, Register Office 392

(references taken from FindMyPast and not validated in any way)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 March 17 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate of Mary Ann holland and Henry allwood but not sure how to pop it on here for you to see  ???

Offline Nikita1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 March 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Gysyroselee13 - Wow! What a connection! So we must be distant cousins?? I have William Henry living in Shardlow as a 'Cleaning Dept Labourer' in 1939... are you still local? Wow! This is exciting!

As for attaching the cert, when typing a message, there is a blue link 'attachments and other options', just select that and upload from your computer :)

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 March 17 05:24 GMT (UK) »
It's not letting me send it  :-\ it's saying it to big how else can I send you a picture of the birth certificate  ???
I do live in derby but more towards the town centre now, but my dream would be to live in the country side I love open space and nature who knows one day I might  :)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 March 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
You will need to reduce the size of the file to 500KB or less. This is usually done by reducing the quality of the image. You can read stuff pretty well on screen which is a lot fuzzier than you would put up with in print.

There are many picture editing programs which will do this. I use the one shipped with Microsoft Office.

Always work on a COPY of your image. Don't mess up the original!

There's a tutorial at:
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

Remember that if you don't want the world and his wife to see the picture, send it in a Personal Message.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 March 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Here is one part sorry I'm having to do it this way have no idea how else to do it