Author Topic: Corstorphine Births - Dickson family 1827+  (Read 3036 times)

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corstorphine Births - Dickson family 1827+
« on: Tuesday 16 February 16 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Unable to find the birth records for George Dickson in Corstorphine, (Edinburgh) c 1827. Parents would have been a John Dickson, ploughman, and Margaret Sorbie/Sorbey (m 16 Dec 1825, Wiston and Roberton, Lanarkshire). First son John Dickson, born 28 July 1826, Wiston and Roberton, Lanarkshire. George had a sibling William, born c 1830 Corstorphine. Many thanks. AncesStory
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Corstorphine Births - Dickson family 1827+
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 16:45 GMT (UK) »
1851 gives George as b 1826 but 1861 shows 1831

Have you checked the 1841 census for him to establish his age at that time?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole - I do have the 1851 and 1861 Scotland census for George Dickson, but not the 1841 census. I have been unable to find this family in 1841 Scotland or England Census. Here is the information I do have for this Dickson family:

Parents: John Dickson, ploughman, + Margaret Sorbie
Married 16 Dec 1825, Wiston and Roberton, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Known Children:
1.   Birth of son, John Dickson, 28 Jul 1826, Wiston and Roberton, Lanarkshire, Scotland
2.   George Dickson: born Corstorphine c 1827? Married Jane Swan, 28 Jul 1848,  Canongate, Edinburgh. Died: unknown.
1851 Scotland Census, age 25 born Corstorphine, 1826. Address: 16 West Sciennes St EDIN. Occupation: Market Carter
1861 Scotland Census age 30, born Corstorphine, about 1831. Address: 26 Gifford Park Occupation: Garden Labourer

3.   William Dickson, born Corstorphine c 1830. Died 26 DEC 1894, Edinburgh, aged 59 - (parents John Dickson, ploughman, and “Elizabeth” Sorbie)
1861Scotland  Census, age 31, born Corstorphine abt 1830
1871 England Census All Saints, Northumberland, England, age 39, born Scotland abt 1832
1881 Scotland Census1 age 51, born Corstorphine,  1830
1891Scotland Census age 60, born Corstorphine abt 1830
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Unable to find the birth records for George Dickson in Corstorphine, (Edinburgh) c 1827. ......... George had a sibling William, born c 1830 Corstorphine. Many thanks. AncesStory

I have seen that birthplace of "Corstorphine" in 1851 Scotland Census was replaced by Kirkliston/West Lothian for other Dickson families by 1861/871/1881 census - would the western area of "Corstorphine" be considered to be West Lothian by 1861 onwards, at least in the case of the census returns? 

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I note that there is a birth for Jean Dickson 21 March 1828 Christening 30 March 1828 Residence Wandell and Lamington, Lanarkshire Parents John Dickson and Margaret Sorbie. (This is an adjacent parish to Wiston and Roberton).

Have you located a death cert for George Dickson? Does it name parents?  I note that you say that William's death cert names mother as Elizabeth Sorbie. How sure are you that Elizabeth and Margaret Sorbie are one and the same?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »

Have you located a death cert for George Dickson? Does it name parents?  I note that you say that William's death cert names mother as Elizabeth Sorbie. How sure are you that Elizabeth and Margaret Sorbie are one and the same?

William
thanks for this William - the only reason that I think Margaret/Elizabeth Sorbie/Sorbey are one and the same is that on William Dickson's death certificate of Dec 29 1894, his parents are named as John Dickson, ploughman, deceased, and Elizabeth Sorbey, deceased. I have been unable to find the death certificate of George Dickson on SP, but it was after 1861, since George is living at Gifford Place, Edinburgh, gardener, according to 1861 census.

William Dickson (b c 1830, "Corstorphine") was married to was Elizabeth McDougall, on 1 Dec  1854 at Sprouston, Roxburghshire.

Their son John was born in 1855 - this was excellent, because it named his parents as John Dickson and Elizabeth McDougall, and stated the marriage of the parents in Sprouston, Roxburghshire in  1854. According to this birth certificate William Dickson, father, carter,  would be 25 years old, and mother Elizabeth McDougall would be 33 years old. There was also I boy living. Would this be other than John? William Dickson was a carter in 1855 - his brother George Dickson was also a carter - market carter, 1851. gardener, 1861.

The only John Dickson/Sorbie match I could find c 1825 is the one mentioned  in Wiston/Roberton. Lanarkshire.

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I note that there is a birth for Jean Dickson 21 March 1828 Christening 30 March 1828 Residence Wandell and Lamington, Lanarkshire Parents John Dickson and Margaret Sorbie. (This is an adjacent parish to Wiston and Roberton).

William

William you have given me very valuable information about this Dickson family. There is a definite link between William Dickson, born Corstorphine c 1830 and Jean Dickson born 21 March 1828 in Strathaven to John Dickson and Margaret Sorbie! Jean Dickson married a James Main Hamilton. The couple were living at 40 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh in 1861 as "lodgers".  In 1861, William Dickson and his wife Elizabeth McDougal were ALSO living at 40 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh. William's occupation is noted as a shop porter. There must be some family connection in that Jean is living in the same place as William! Now I just need to find where George Dickson, born Corstorphine c 1827/1831, fits into this family.
AncesStory

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
How have you linked George to John & Margaret if you have no birth record and no 1841 entry?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 09:46 GMT (UK) »
would the western area of "Corstorphine" be considered to be West Lothian by 1861 onwards, at least in the case of the census returns?

I'd be surprised if that were the case. There were quite a few adjustments and rationalisations of parish and county boundaries around 1890, but not as early as 1861 as far as I am aware. You'd need to look at the details of the descriptions of enumeration districts and the places included in each ED to check this. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.