Author Topic: Thomas Whittaker c 1768  (Read 3870 times)

Offline bonzo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Whittaker c 1768
« on: Thursday 18 February 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Any information required on Thomas Whittaker born c1768 Cheshire or Possibly Lancashire
Occupation Weaver.
On the 25 May 1812 he was convicted in Chester of having people sign illegal oaths to commit a crime known as Luddism. His sentence was 7 years transportation to Australia. After serving 7 years he remained in Australia where in 1831 he married a Catherine Armstrong ( convict ) 2nd marriage.
Looking for any information at all on Thomas IE: Birth, first Marriage, Children, Parents.
We know before he left England he left a letter for his 1st Wife.

Regards Bonzo

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Whittaker c 1768
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I think this will be really difficult, unless there is some information within the Court records or the local press about where your Thomas lived.

As you don't know his children's names -- there is nothing to base his father's possible name on.

Off the top of my head, Whittaker is possibly more common in Lancashire than in Cheshire. However you will need to bear in mind that Luddites moved around in groups from town to town, county to county - both to stir up support for their cause and to select various Mills to target.
To have been charged at Chester probably means he and others were captured nearby. It doesn't mean they came from that location.

Have you anything from the Court case that may give more of a clue to his origins or family circumstances please?

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 16 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello bonzo
I will be happy to check the Chester Newspapers available at Chester Record Office next week to see if I can find any further information on the trial from 25th May 1812.
marthaannie

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello bonzo
I have found a copy of a document from Crimes, Prisons and Punishment dated 3rd July 1812 re Thomas Whittaker.
Please pm me and I will send a copy to you, or perhaps you already have a copy of this document?
marthaannie

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonzo,

If you have access to find my past there is an article about this in the Chester Chronicle 5 June 1812
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello bonzo
I have read the Chester Chronicle found by roinora, which states:
Thomas Whittaker charged with committing and unlawful oath, article makes interesting reading, unfortunately no reference to his family.
marthaannie

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 16 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Bonzo. The article in the Chester Chronicle states that Thomas was of Cheadle Bulkeley and latterly Gatley. I have looked to see what I can find on the Cheshire Parish Register project. Cheadle baptisms don't cover his birth year, but Cheadle was in the Macclesfiedl Hundred and there is a baptism of a Thomas Whittaker on October 14th 1767 at Macclesfield St Mary. Parents are shown as George and Betty. The residence code is shown as ZZ which means the record was illegible at this point. This is an extremely long shot. Obviously with no further supporting evidence it could be any Thomas.
Do you have any details of the second marriage in Australia? are there any clues on that record?
Sorry not to be able to help further.
Regards
KathB
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline bonzo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi There.

Thomas Whittaker married Catherine Armstrong ( Convict ) 0n 7 Jan 1831 in Australia.

Regards Bonzo

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonzo - but does the marriage record, by any remote chance at that date - give any father's name?

Also - what about his death? I know that later Australian records give quite a lot of family information on death records, such as parents, children etc. Maybe not so much the earlier the death -- but is there anything on his death certificate/record about his parents?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.