Author Topic: Illusive Grandad! Henry Jesse Lovell  (Read 17860 times)

Offline Geraldine Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illusive Grandad! Henry Jesse Lovell
« on: Friday 19 February 16 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Im new to this form of research so please be patient! Im trying to locate my Grandfather whom I cannot for the life of me find him pre 1927 when He married my Grandmother Bertha Isobelle Johnstone in Aug 1927 at Geraldine,Canterbury ,NZ. He died July 1940 at Geraldine. He supposedly came to NZ 1920 from UK where he was born circa 1879 in London area. We are almost positive the name he used Henry Jesse Lovell was " borrowed" .We have a possible scenario pre NZ but I really need to know where and when he came to NZ.I have searched high and low to no avail! Hopefully someone can help.I have his Intention to Marry details,marriage,birth certs for his children,death cert.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Illusive Grandad!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:02 GMT (UK) »
All the details on the various certificates are consistent, or in other words he kept his story straight?

Might it help if we have an occupation?

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:19 GMT (UK) »
If there is an alternative name involved, what did he use for his parents names and occupations on the certificates?

Have you thought about following your grandmother's line/family down to someone living who may be able to collaborate?

If he spent all his time in Geraldine, is there an organisation there that may have more local information or where people may have knew his 'story'?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Geraldine Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:30 GMT (UK) »
His occupations were varied! On marriage certificate he says hes a baker.Hes also been a Cattle Valuer around Fairlie way,hes been a driver and a labourer.He was a judge for phography at local shows,played in a Silver Band. His age fluctuates on most of the certificates.The details he gave on marriage cert, about his parents ,well there is no such combination. He has been thoroughly researched by a UK Genealogist and quite a few on FB sites.Absolutely nothing! So I need to find him in NZ earlier than 1927 to see if it matches the scenario we think may have happened. All my relatives have passed away including my Father who was only 12 at the time he died.He kept his past life to himself apparently.We assume he chose ficticious names of parents to keep his past a secret .He said he was in the Navy but we dont think this was so.Ive been in contact with groups,RSA ,museum,etc in Geraldine area but there is nothing much on this man! No record of a service number even though he had an RSA funeral service that the Geraldine RSA paid for.Its like he appeared out of nowhere!

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:47 GMT (UK) »
WOW!
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Geraldine Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to say the names of his parents ,Charles Lovell and Kathleen Lovell nee Pritchard.Charles apparently was dead when Henry and Bertha married in 1927.But there is nobody in Britain with that combination and a son called Henry Jesse Lovell.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illusive Grandad! Henry Jesse Lovell
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Just a couple of thoughts (ok, three).

1.  Might he have born in Australia or another Commonwealth country?
2.  The RSA would have had followed some kind of process to ensure he warranted an RSA ceremony at his death. I suggest that you contact the relevant RSA branch to see what information they had access to.
3.  It might help us if you provided a timeline of his life.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Geraldine Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have been in contact with Geraldine RSA and they very kindly went through all the records for me and found zilch .He had a full RSA funeral I have the obituary ,gives the names of the Pall Bearers and who played the bugle.They found nothing about HJL other than he was a British War Vet and a complaint in the minutes how much his funeral cost! When I questioned the fact about a service number for him ,they said they had no record of that and I would have to go through British records to get that. Seems strange they gave him a service without confirmation of him fighting in the war.

Offline Geraldine Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I will do a timeline for HJL's life tomorrow for you the whole 13 years of it! Its not much!!