Author Topic: John Williams 1887  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams 1887
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 June 16 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at this from a different angle, as suggested earlier, there are 2 marriages which appear to fit for John's father Edward - to either Margaret Williams in 1886 or Margaret Pickering in 1887.

The censuses show an Edward and Margaret (who stayed in Flintshire) together in 1891 but by 1901 that Edward was a widower. Margaret it seems died in Sept Qtr 1894 age 30 (Free BMD for Holywell) and there are family trees on Ancestry which seem to suggest this to be Margaret Pickering who was born in 1864 (See her birth on Free BMD March Qtr Holywell 11b/294).

In the 1891 census your Margaret was aged 29 and the 1864 birth does not fit this profile. On this basis I would be confident in suggesting your Margaret was Margaret Williams and her marriage was the one in Dec Qtr 1886 (Holywell Ref 11b/399).

Hope this helps

Alan

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 June 16 09:10 BST (UK) »
The Dec 1886 Holywell marriage is -
Parish Church, Llanasa
24 December 1886
Edward Williams, 24, Bachelor, Labourer, residence Llanrhaiadr in Kinmerch, father Owen Williams, Rockman
+
Margaret Williams, 25, Spinster, residence Llanasa, father Bennett Williams, Collier
witnesses Evan Williams, Mary Jones

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
Llanasa looks good re Margaret's birth place on the census returns.
Going on the 1871 and 1881 census, if your Margaret was the daughter of Bennett Williams, then she might have been a bit older than she says?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 June 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
Admission, Manod Infants School, Merionethshire
admitted 2.4.94
born 16.4.90
Williams Cassia Jane
parent Edwd
address 5 Penygeli
withdrawal 17.10.94 Left for Ffestiniog

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 June 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It is looking likely that the wedding in Dec 1886 is correct with the bride and grooms ages matching the 1891 census.

If you check the local North Wales BMD site  - northwalesbmd.org.uk there is reference to the birth of a John Williams in the sub district of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch, (Denbighshire South)  reference RHADAER/07/41 in 1887. It seems possible that this is the sub district covering the village where his parents lived. Have you looked at this site previously?

Just to make life more difficult there are 2 other John Williams births showing for 1888 but as your John was born in Aug 1887 could this be the correct reference for his birth?

If you were to contact the local register office, perhaps they could check it out for you?

Alan

Offline Road Runner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 June 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
You really have been a busy lot and I must admit that due to other commitments at the moment I really have not been spending time furthering my search.
However I sincerley like to thank you all your help and assisatnce with working through my brick wall and posting me the results.
Kind regards
Grant - St Mary Church, Cowbridge
Harford - Sutton Benger,  Keithley
Newberry / Newbury -  London, Chepstow, Cardiff