Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67913 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #189 on: Saturday 28 May 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Its sad ! but true !! that family couples had many children with some of them being early life infant deaths/burials, its fair to say George and Sarah Hood, who married 1815 in Selby would have had some of there children who would have died as infants between 1815 and July 1837 the start of GRO certificates of death. Therefore there could be a parish burials book (Not Selby) of these children burials somewhere with some  infant sons/daughters of George and Sarah recorded in the parish register or nonconformist register before 1837.

What we do know about George Hood who died 1845 was he had -had an education, yet a working class trade and  yet seems to have a fair wealth and some basic business knowledge aged 26 in 1812.-This is baffling puzzle point.

Just a thought
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Saturday 28 May 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Susan from the Howdenshire website has been in touch by email, I have missed Carlton juxta Snaith Burials.

The map at the Borthwick of the names (which I thought were Parishes) which I used, does not seem to include all the places within the two Selby and Snaith Jurisdictions. Not being local, having a health condition and concentrating so much on checking the map names, must have taken my mind off the names, under the Selby and Snaith Jurisdictions.

Kind regards, Mark

EDIT: Seems the places listed under the Selby Jurisdiction were places and not all were Parishes.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Saturday 28 May 16 10:41 BST (UK) »

Susan from the Howdenshire website has been in touch by email, I have missed Carlton juxta Snaith Burials..............................................................................

I have been following this thread for ages now, just to say if you get an inkling that George (AKA Robin  ;) ) is indeed buried in Carlton let me know, I am only 15 minutes away and will gladly go and have a trawl through the churchyard for you.

To be honest I didn't know you had missed Carlton or I would have thrown it into the mix,

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Saturday 28 May 16 12:30 BST (UK) »

I have been following this thread for ages now, just to say if you get an inkling that George (AKA Robin  ;) ) is indeed buried in Carlton let me know, I am only 15 minutes away and will gladly go and have a trawl through the churchyard for you.

To be honest I didn't know you had missed Carlton or I would have thrown it into the mix,

Frank.

Hello Frank

Thank you, that is most kind, but please bear in mind, although the Carlton juxta Snaith Burial Register is supposed to be at the Borthwick, I have not yet been to the Beverley Record Office to look at the remaining Parishes under the Jurisdiction of Snaith (which historically came under the Selby Jurisdiction), so it could be a disappointing journey. Whatever, you decide, please take care.

Regarding my last post about Selby (just edited), I vaguely seem to recall that the names under the Selby Abbey Jurisdiction list were places and not all Parishes.

Kind regards, Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Saturday 28 May 16 17:56 BST (UK) »
Just a recap

There are no September 1845 George Hood, (Tanner & Brewer, dying 18th Sept), burials in the following microfilmed Parish Burial Registers:-

Stillingfleet
Riccall
Skipwith
Wistow
Cawood
Esrick
Hemingbro'
Barlby
Bubwith
Coxwold
Drax
Elvington
Thorganby
Sherburn in Elmet
Brayton
Wheldrake
Birkin
Kirkby Wharfe
Ryther
Rufforth
Dunnington
Monk Fryston
Saxton
Appleton le Street
YORK - Only checked St Edward the Confessor, Dringhouses at York.

Goughy has checked the following:-
he's not in Howden or Snaith
nor is he in Brotherton
Not in Church Fenton

They used to say a lot of business was conducted with fellow church members, or more recently at the Golf Club.

When in Yorkshire again  ;D  :- I shall look at:- Scarborough; Airmyn; Carlton juxta Snaith; Hook; Rawcliffe; Swinefleet; Whitgift and a few others

By the way, about 1907 my Grandfather's brother had a forename, which according to the internet, meant 'of the forest' whether that came from the Hood side, or his mother, I don't know. Although, this name is not found in my Oxford Names book.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Saturday 28 May 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, just to say, there are no Hood burials in my burial index booklet for AIRMYN, 1726 - 1920.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Sunday 29 May 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
In them days 1845 to 1879 was a time when these small chapelry church's started becoming their own smaller independent parish breaking up the older big mother parish. For example:-  Holmfirth became its own parish, before Holmfirth town was divided in the centre  by 2 major big mother parishes Kirkburton parish & Almondbury Parish and to make matters worse there was not a distinctive boundary line but more patches- Upperthong had 2 unlinked patched area with patches of areas of Wooldale in-between both in different parishes. East Rochdale, Saddleworth and shirting right up to Lees in Oldham were in these two mother parishes.

Abodes of people could be living in one parish and the nearest easy route by road to a church/chapelry could be in another parish and not uncommon for that parish to (ie:-  Rochdale/Oldham/Lees if they lived in Saddleworth/Mossley/Lees) be in another county-Mother church's Kirkburton and Almondbury a couple of mile apart of each other in a triangle with Kirkheaton mother parish church.in Huddersfield town outer boundary.

A chap on the 1841c living in Lees hamlet of Oldham says he was physically born in Lees 1/2 mile from Oldham in Lancashire _ Wrong: he was born in Yorkshire

It still is complicated over Oldham ? in Lancashire and Yorkshire as some East Oldham boundary sign posts carry the White rose of Yorkshire
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Thursday 16 June 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I've tried two Yorkshire Unitarian Chapels where burials were conducted in 1845. Seems neither have any Hood burials.

However, one reply:-

... could not find any burials registered to a Hood, of any forename. You will know about the Mormons family history site- they give his birthdate as 1787, and state that some information about him comes from the list of Chelsea Pensioners. In those days, a Chelsea Pensioner was not necessarily an inmate of the Chelsea Hospital, but any ex soldier in receipt of a certain pension.

Seems there are several WO Series, depending on status, type of Soldier or Army Unit.

So I have emailed him back, as I can't find this on 'Family Search', but if anyone can provide the FS link / details, or WO Catalogue Series / record type or record name mentioned on Family Search, please, I can take it from there?

The TNA website says regarding the Pension records that the 'Friends of The National Archives' have been preparing Data Sheets in respect of these records. I have heard about the Friends work before, cataloguing other types of records.

Thank you, kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Thursday 16 June 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
The Leeds death GRO George Hood Sept 1845 ex soldier seems a likely candidate for that Chelsea pension. Worth putting on a low back burner shot - but not worth digging holes the garden with pain of excitement over said info.

Where is his wife Sarah Russel is buried 1879 is the key - died 34 after her husband George and most likely buried with him also 3 sibling burials of said couple -WHY !!. This burial ground must have a great importance over the spread of foresaid years to this Hood family and put front burner on high heat is needed.