Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67788 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #234 on: Friday 29 July 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm for your baptism comments.

Hello All

Thanks for looking in.

Just a recap on new Parish Registers checked so far (incl previous)

There are no George Hood Burials, (Tanner & Brewer, dying 18th September 1845), in the following microfilmed Parish Burial Registers:-

Appleton le Street
Barlby
Birkin
Brayton
Bubwith
Carlton juxta Snaith (Carlton in Snaith) no 1845 burial. Register note says:- Baptisms A Duty of 3d charged for every Baptism to be paid from the 2d Day of October, 1783. Also 1780 -1789 Baptisms checked.
Cawood
Coxwold
Drax
Dunnington
Elvington
Escrick
Hemingbro’
Kirkby Wharfe
Monk Fryston
Riccall
Rufforth
Ryther
Saxton
Selby
Sherburn in Elmet
Skipwith
Stillingfleet
Thorganby
Wheldrake
Wistow

YORK
St Edward the Confessor, Dringhouses, York
St Michael Le Belfry [also no August 1786 John Hood burial]
St Olave [also no August 1786 John Hood burial]
All Saints North Street
Holy Trinity in Goodramgate
Holy Trinity, Kings Court
Holy Trinity, Micklegate
St Crux
St Cuthbert
St Denys (St Dennis & St George)
St Helen, Stonegate
St Johns Ousebridge End
St Lawrence
St Margarets
St Martins Coney Street
St Martin cum Gregory
St Mary Bishophill Junior
St Mary Bishophill Snr
St Mary Castlegate
St Maurice
St Sampson
END OF CHURCHES prefixed YORK

And following Parish Registers on Fiche
Aldborough (PE 76/11)
Beverley St John, Minster (“St John & St Martin” on fiche)
Beverley St Mary (& St Nicholas on fiche) [Robert Hood age 16, Dog & Duck Lane, 27th August 1845]
Blacktoft
Catwick
Cloughton
Cottingham
Bridlington St Mary Parish
Driffield
Little Driffield
Drypool
Easington Parish
Eastrington
Filey
Flamborough
Foston on the Wolds
Foxholes [noted Joseph Hood of Foxholes, Year 1, buried 6th April 1845]
Hedon
Hessle
Hollym cum Withernsea [William Collinson of Patrington 29 yrs, 4th May 1845]
Holme on the Wolds
Hornsea
Hotham
Howden
Hull Holy Trinity
Hull St James Parish
Hull St Mark in the Groves
Hull St Mary Lowgate Parish PE 185/28 (St Mary in the Town, on fiche)
Hull St Stephen Parish [No 1845 burials per catalogue]
Langtoft with Cottam
Leconfield
Leven
Marfleet St Giles
Middleton on the Wolds
Sewerby [No burials before 1859 per Catalogue]
Scorborough PE 117/7
Sculcoates St Marys
Walkington [Ann Collinson of Hull, age 77, 13 Jan 1848]

Goughy has checked the following:-
he's not in Howden or Snaith
nor is he in Brotherton
Not in Church Fenton

My word Yorkshire is a massive place!! George Hood burial September 1845 still a mystery?

Kind Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Saturday 30 July 16 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have posted these links so that I can find them quickly ...

Found some Wills etc., now online on FindMyPast ...
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/york-peculiars-probate-index-1383-1883

Sadly for Selby these are not. The Borthwick seem to say it is because they are rolled into bundles and each one ordered at £10 have to be checked, to see that it can be flattened for reprographic work.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/prerogative-and-exchequer-courts-of-york-probate-index-1688-1858

For those held by Durham (link below), re the names do your surname search only, then it brings up names with the number of wills for each name, tick one name at a time, click view records and it takes you to link/s. Some are links to individual Wills/Probates, other links go to a long sequence of several hundred images, so take a note of the folio numbers BEFORE you click the link (or go back). Once you have the folio number/s, you will have to guess roughly where the number is (in the sequence) and search using that number in the image box, then click adjacent back and forth circular arrows, or another search until you find the Will, in a sequence.

But they are FREE images. The amount of Hoods, I have viewed would have cost £300 (@ £10 each from other archives).
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

Regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Moved from here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.18

Because the Church grave yards were overspilling, some graveyards were built up, level with the top of the boundary wall, so I've been checking the private General Cemetery Companies.

Some Dissenting (N.C.) Churches, don't seem to know generally now, where their dead were buried, when their local faith Church/Chapel had no graveyard.

It seems in some towns, the Council have made the new Crematorium responsible for archiving their records.

Regards Mark

EDIT: Regarding closed Graveyards during 19th Century, I have discovered (in the London Gazette) that their spouse and unmarried Children can be buried at their parents graveyard, in some cases.

In the recent list on here I also missed:-
Richard Hood, Grocer, aged 23, who died of "Consumption Certified" Market Place Selby on 2nd May 1850, James Hood of Wren Lane was present at death.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

This morning I remembered to ask a Family History Group member if she knew about Roman Catholic registers for Selby.  She said she thought all the RC registers are retained at St Mary's RC Church in Selby (which is not unusual for RCs). She thinks the Carlton ones are retained at Carlton, but could also be at Carlton Towers.  She says it would be worth contacting St Mary's RC in Selby.  Contact details on website http://stmarysselby.org.uk/
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks Goughy, I was rather disappointed not to get a reply, but will try again.

I am asking on the North Riding section whether Grace Fothergill (married to William Hood) was linked to John Fothergill of Selby (see 3 attachments) ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=753233.msg6020952#msg6020952

Also Carlton Hall has a Mortuarium
Page 30, 9th March 1912
The Rev. Chas. Forestier was chaplain to the Hon. Edward Petre, and in charge of the Selby Mission from 1810 to 1822—the year of his death and burial there—when the Rev. Robert Hogarth made the following remarkable entry in the Mortuarium at Carlton Hall, where he had succeeded the Rev. Chas. Forestier as chaplain to Mr. Thomas Stapleton, the first claimant to the Barony of Beaumont, the title at present held by his younger brother's (Miles Stapleton's) great-great-granddaughter, the Baroness Beaumont, of Carlton Towers, Yorks.

Also a Hood grave vault in North Yorkshire possibly linked to Hood of Yafforth and Nettleham, but I have temporarily mislaid the note amongst many pages.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
Been informed William Hood's Burial Notes (d.1870 aged 54) span over two pages, will these tell us more about his father George Hood (my 4 X Gt. Grandfather) or Hood family, watch this space.

Re Roman Catholic 1845 Births and Burials, I have asked their Leeds Diocese Communications Office for help.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hello All

There is one "Hood Family Vault" at East Cowton, near Richmond.

I have posted under North Yorkshire ...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=753299.msg6021766#msg6021766

No joy with the 1870 Quaker record  :(

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Thursday 04 August 16 23:17 BST (UK) »
Selby Times newspaper started 1869 onwards (Sarah Hood burial or obituary 1879 maybe in it)

http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/Newspapers.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Friday 05 August 16 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Selby Library checked the Selby Times for me some time ago, as you are quite right, the Selby Times began before the death of Sarah Hood (senior) nee Russel, dying 1879.

Rather than spouting on, in the Obit notice about George Hood (d.1845) being liked by everyone who knew him, it would have been more helpful saying 'son of ... ' or 'buried at ... '

I read 5 Wills on the 1383 to 1883 index, in the time allowed at the Library.

There are a lot of John Spencer Wills, on the other index to 1858, but these have to be purchased from the Borthwick.

There was a John Spencer, a Farmer of Sherburn in Elmet, 1763, around the date of interest.

However, there is some image of a "Requisition directed as above" [but above part missing], which refers to a Catherine Hawke wife of the ? Sir Edward Hawke Knight of the Bath the daughter of Walter Brooks late of Burton in the Parish of BRAYTON in the province of York ... ? ... Goods of the said Walter Brookes ... by Calostinos Brooks his ?  . 31 January 1756
Signed
Mary Spencer of Sherburne in the County of York Widow
William Cooper of the same place Yeoman
John Morther [or John Morthan] of Nottingham

On getting home, it seems this Sir Edward Hawke, was a very big Admiralty / Navy chap.

On the IGI as marrying at Somerset House to Catherine Brooke (not Brooks)

I don't think this John Spencer is for us, but just interesting, although I could not see how Hawke fitted in with Spencer, but part seems to be missing.

Regards Mark