Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67909 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Is there a year to this John Hood Tanner Selby Will held at Wakefield or did you mean a John Hood ? mariner 1819 Will Selby at Wakefield

Hello dobfarm

I wish. The microfilmed book of Selby Wills was also checked at Borthwick, no 1819 Hood, Will listed  :(

No, I meant John Hood, Tanner of Selby, who died 1860 (my 3 X Gt. Grandfather).

There is possibly something going on, with the late James Collinson (died Selby, aged 72, on 26 July 1851 per newspaper) AND Hood of Selby, for William Hood of Wren Lane, to hold Collinson's property in Trust until 1864?

I have to see if any possible Hood - Collinson family link, even if it goes nowhere.

James Collinson died just after the 1851 Census, also wondered where he was born, in Census please?

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Both

James Collinson was born born in Selby circa 1789 (buried Selby.  Wife Elizabeth Marsh (married 1814 Selby)  Will details held at Borthwick

Document type   Will
Document reference   vol.225, f.1500
Index reference   1851121853080057/4
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 18 February 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Both

James Collinson was born born in Selby circa 1789 (buried Selby.  Wife Elizabeth Marsh (married 1814 Selby)  Will details held at Borthwick

Document type   Will
Document reference   vol.225, f.1500
Index reference   1851121853080057/4

Hello Goughy

Thanks for the information, I've got a few bits to order from the Borthwick.

"HULL, Jan. 10, 1814.
Ship News.
The brig Brothers, Collinson, of Scarbro', was taken off Beachy-head, on 21st ult. by French privateer, but afterwards abandoned by prize crew, and is arrived at Scarbro'. There were three privateers off Beachy-head when the Brothers was taken."

According to the Marriages in the Hull Packet 8th February 1814 (only part viewable), On Wednesday last, at the Holy Trinity ... this town, Mr Robert Collinson, mas ... Brothers of Scarbro', to Miss Ann Stavely ... Mrs E. Stavely, of Pocklington.

Also repeated in the Stamford Mercury under Lincoln ...
On the 2d inst. at Hull, Mr. Robert Collinson, master of the brig Brothers, of Scarbro', to Miss Ann Stavely, daughter of Mrs. E. Stavely, of Pocklington.

Seems, there was a Robert Collinson, a Master, with a connection to Scarborough, like John Hood.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 19 February 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Mark

Its free this weekend on An*estry website
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 19 February 16 12:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a sting scenario in the tale and strong medicine (from true facts)

Need to check the marriage 1769 out to see if this John Hood was a mariner

John Hood married Jane Bell 18 May 1769 in Alnwick, Northumberland .

Jane Hood d 1803 age 65 = b 1738 husband John Hood a mariner (reason to travel)

- John Hood  d 1819 age 82 = b 1737  both died Selby (harbour)

near by Alnmouth has a harbour (Packboats)

George Hood b 1786 Gateshead father John Hood another harbour

George Hood married 1815 aged 28 = b 1787
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm, Goughy Bumblebee and All

Thank you for the suggestions.

The Selby Land Tax of 1781 indicates a J Hood and later a Mr Hood was an 'Occupier' of a Tenement at Selby, if John Hood was a dissenter around that time, it could be that "George Hood of Selby" (marr. Selby 1815) was linked to this John Hood and actually born Selby, but not baptised by the Church and therefore no baptism/birth record in the Selby Parish Register.

I get the impression that some dissenters might have changed faiths, John Hood buried Selby 1819 could have gone back to Selby Parish Church, or his burial was permitted, whereas George may have had another faith. I am led to believe that some non-conformist records acquired by Archives, may not be online.

Maudland Hood married Selby 1794 (alias Morland and Mordland Turner after her marriage) was born/baptised Scarborough daughter of John Hood of Selby, mariner, married to Elizabeth Spencer and linked to John Spencer of Scarborough, according to the birth of Charles and Morland Turner's first child at Selby.

We intend to come to Hull soon and see what John Hood/s we can find in the Mariners records they hold, also they have some Selby Manor records, as George was a Tenant of Lord Petrie at Selby in 1812 and some records of Selby Abbey to see if dissenters are mentioned. I want to rule out the Burial Indexes of the large Hull Cemeteries, as a John Hood sailed out of Hull a fair bit. We also want to see what the Scarborough Mariner records they hold too, at Hull History Centre, before spreading the net over a wider area.

Thanks for you continued interest and suggestions, but I also want to search John Hood of Selby Mariner, married to Jane buried Selby 1803.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
We know George Hood d 1845 could write as marriage 1815 register & bond allegation, the only school in Selby around 1785 seems to be  a charity school which ran from 1758 to 1802 and admissions to the school held at WYAS Leeds

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=LC01809&pos=21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the 18th century Selby, long a river port of no little consequence, became something of a transport hub, thought to have handled some 500 seagoing ships amounting to more than 300,000 tonnes of cargo per annum in its heyday.

A lot of mariners (Sailors) must visited Selby 18th century

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/history/town/Selby40/

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 25 February 16 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm, Goughy Bumblebee and All

Thank you for the suggestions.

The Selby Land Tax of 1781 indicates a J Hood and later a Mr Hood was an 'Occupier' of a Tenement at Selby, if John Hood was a dissenter around that time, it could be that "George Hood of Selby" (marr. Selby 1815) was linked to this John Hood and actually born Selby, but not baptised by the Church and therefore no baptism/birth record in the Selby Parish Register.

I get the impression that some dissenters might have changed faiths, John Hood buried Selby 1819 could have gone back to Selby Parish Church, or his burial was permitted, whereas George may have had another faith. I am led to believe that some non-conformist records acquired by Archives, may not be online.

Maudland Hood married Selby 1794 (alias Morland and Mordland Turner after her marriage) was born/baptised Scarborough daughter of John Hood of Selby, mariner, married to Elizabeth Spencer and linked to John Spencer of Scarborough, according to the birth of Charles and Morland Turner's first child at Selby.

We intend to come to Hull soon and see what John Hood/s we can find in the Mariners records they hold, also they have some Selby Manor records, as George was a Tenant of Lord Petrie at Selby in 1812 and some records of Selby Abbey to see if dissenters are mentioned. I want to rule out the Burial Indexes of the large Hull Cemeteries, as a John Hood sailed out of Hull a fair bit. We also want to see what the Scarborough Mariner records they hold too, at Hull History Centre, before spreading the net over a wider area.

Thanks for you continued interest and suggestions, but I also want to search John Hood of Selby Mariner, married to Jane buried Selby 1803.

Kind regards, Mark

Hi Mark,

To add to above :

With both Jane Hood buried 1803 also assume her husband John Hood a mariner was of the same religion also John Hood who died 1819 if was same John Hood aforesaid all from Selby are registered as C of E Anglican at burial

If John Hood the mariner husband of Jane Hood burial 1803 would be at sea a lot, its doubtful he would have been deeply involved in his religion to chop and change, also if George was his son ? all indication are George Hood d 1845 was brought up C of E by Anglican register entries of his family.

If George Hood born approx 1780 to 1787 - married Anglican C of E 1815, died GRO 1845 Selby and Sarah Hood (nee Russell his wife) died 1879 GRO. Aforesaid George & Sarah Hood baptized their known children as C of E Anglican and seems to me any desertion by George hood d 1845 to nonconformity must come late in his life if ever  ? is after his last child baptism C of E.