Author Topic: Spital Boughton "House of Refuge"  (Read 1447 times)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
Spital Boughton "House of Refuge"
« on: Monday 29 February 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have come across an establishment at 2 Christleton Road, Spital Boughton on the 1881 Census where the head of the household, a widowed woman, is listed as being 'matron in charge of house of refuge', with 'hosp serv' scrawled above.  Living with her are her are her son & daughter, and nine 'inmates', who are all unmarried girls aged between 14 & 19 years old from various parts of the country; only two from Cheshire.

I've Googled without success, and this address does not seem to appear on the '71 or '91 Censuses.  I would like to find out more about this place, so would appreciate your expertise.

My personal opinion is that the inmates were all pregnant, but I could be barking up the wrong tree.
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spital Boughton "House of Refuge"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 February 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
In the Cheshire Observer - Saturday 13 October 1888 there is a report on a bazaar for the House of Refuge in Chester. It states that the institution has been doing its work in Boughton, and the object is to  provide a home for girls in a station of life most likely to benefit by the excellent course of moral  and domestic training which all the inmates receive  under the care of the lady superintendent, Miss Gilbert. The number admitted is limited to twelve.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 February 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
There are nine inmates in 1881 RG11 Piece 3554 Folio 47 Page 88

Stan

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 February 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
There are nine inmates in 1881 RG11 Piece 3554 Folio 47 Page 88

Stan

Yes, this is the one I was looking at.

Thank you for finding the article - it sounds extremely plausible seeing as there are only nine out of twelve possible inmates.

It seems that it was some sort of charitable institution?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 09:05 GMT (UK) »
It was a Church charitable institution, apparently opened in 1841. According to the Chester Chronicle - Friday 11 December 1840, a  bazaar was to be held in Chester in January 1841, in aid of a fund for the establishment and support of Male and Female Houses of Refuge, for the County and city of Chester . A small payment was required for the maintenance of the girls from the lady or gentleman on whose recommendation they were introduced. A considerable profit was derived from laundry work, and it was hoped to make the institution self-supporting.
A new Female home was opened by the Bishop of Chester, in Boughton, 25th April 1891. This united the "House of Refuge" with an institution known as the "Female Home" in Foregate Street, and was to accomodate about 25 inmates.
The home was to give protection to homeless and friendless girls and young women, and train them so that they could earn a living. It was renamed "The Training Home for Girls, Boughton House" in 1893.
Stan

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan for all the information you found on the subject.- seems like I was barking up the wrong tree!

If anyone knows if records exist for this establishment, I would be interested to hear about them.