Author Topic: Fancy a Challenge?-John Williams tanner Henllan  (Read 652 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fancy a Challenge?-John Williams tanner Henllan
« on: Friday 04 March 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for any help on a John Williams tanner from Henllan running a business in Denbigh.born c 1770s
His Will Feb 1839 is great but I can't find a burial which would give his age and narrow things down a bit.
First children baptised at Henllan 1798 but from 1802 he and his wife Dorothy Owen(s) are in Denbigh.
There's a son John 1799-1841 also a tanner who provides some confusion.
Any ideas how to find his age?
There's two possible death entries in St Asaph 1838/1839 and so it's going to cost £18.50 if I buy them and there's no guarantee it's him.
Any help welcome for finding his parents or a marriage saying which parish he came from.
Dorothy came from Fintshire baptised 1775 Bodfari daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Owens but no sign of a marriage.
Help please!

Ciderdrinker

Offline Julz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fancy a Challenge?-John Williams tanner Henllan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
I have tried searching and can't find anything.

All I did find was a 1851 census, registration district St Asaph for Dorothy Williams age 75, head of house, born Bodfary, Denbighshire
Other occupants were Elizabeth Jones (Williams) age 45, born 1806 Henllan and a Sarah Roberts, a servant

Is this your Dorothy?
North Wales - Davies, Hardy, Martin, Parry, Griffiths, Smith, Johnson, Bolas
Durham - Pickering, Smith, Ritchey, Chicken
Northumberland - Bickerton, Byers, Pringle
Scottish Borders- Pringle
Australia - Davies, Pickering
USA/ Canada - Ritchey, Pickering

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes surprisingly she is.
As it turns out she's with her widowed daughter in law Mary ,her grandchildren and a daughter Elizabeth also a widow of a Mr Jones.
At the time of my post I didn't know anything about daughter Elizabeth ,(still can't see a baptism for her).John another child who married daughter in law Mary had just died in 1841.
I've since cracked John Williams senior parents.(he was christened at Llanys in 1770).

The solution came with the Will of his uncle Robert Eyton who is mentioned in the Will of 1839.(filed under PCC Wills as he died in Somerset-so not easy to find).That led me to grandparents Thomas and Alice Eyton who named John Williams tanner in Thomas's Will of 1800.
Turns out his mom and dad are John Williams and Alice Eyton .
None of that was easy to find even when I had Robert Eyton's Will and knew who they were.
I still don't have the marriage of John Williams and Dorothy Owens.

Can I say thank you for your time and effort?I should have posted my new discoveries but as there had been no replies I'd forgotten all about making the post in the first place.
It's nice to know someone was reading it and I'm sorry to have put you to so much bother.
Hopefully that marriage will turn up one day.
All the best and thank you again
Ciderdrinker

Offline Julz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
No problem, it took along time to just find that record, I can't find any baptisms or marriages.
It's not easy names to research either, I know that one as most of mine are Davies, Griffiths, Smith, Johnson etc.

Good luck in finding out more and hopefully you will discover the records you need.

Julie.
North Wales - Davies, Hardy, Martin, Parry, Griffiths, Smith, Johnson, Bolas
Durham - Pickering, Smith, Ritchey, Chicken
Northumberland - Bickerton, Byers, Pringle
Scottish Borders- Pringle
Australia - Davies, Pickering
USA/ Canada - Ritchey, Pickering