Author Topic: Middle Names  (Read 3449 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Names
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 March 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
The majority of middle names in my tree are accounted for by reason one, with one branch having a very helpeful(for me) habit of naming sons after the FULL name of each grandfather with the the one named after the maternal grandfather just having the new surname added on.  I hope they didn't have to fill in too many forms.
I have one middle name that took 15 years to explain. Marriage and death records suggested he was born to a married couple, had their marriage but couldn't find his birth.  Could find no record of the name in the family other than it being taken forward as a middle name in the family. Could find noone of that name in the are in the census either.  Then I discovered his "father's" death almost 2 years before he would have been born and finally found his birth registered under his Mum's maiden name.  It was actually reason number 2 his dad having temporarily (between censuses) been based at the local Fort and in later years he had added the surname of his older half siblings to his birth father's surname.

As an aside, while searching for someone else I did come across a Ruby Murray Currie :D.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others