Author Topic: Where did you go to, William de Vere Campbell Macarthur?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Where did you go to, William de Vere Campbell Macarthur?
« on: Tuesday 08 March 16 13:22 GMT (UK) »
William de Vere Campbell Macarthur married Elizabeth Guthrie Craik in Glasgow on 31 December 1901. He gave his age as 24, and she was 45. He described himself as a Professor of Music, and his residence as 29 Manor Street, Forfar. This matches the 1901 census, when he was a lodger at 29 Manor Street, aged 22, organist and teacher of music. He gave his parents as Duncan Campbell Macarthur, tobacco manufacturer, and Annie de Vere Boyack.

In the 1911 census, the couple were living at Sunnyside, Forfar. William was now 40, and an organist and teacher of music, and he said he was born in Inverary, Argyll. Elizabeth was 52.

Elizabeth, described was born in Forfar in 1855, and she died there, described as widow of an organist, in 1947. I have her birth and death certificates, but William remains a mystery.

Duncan McArthur and Annie Boyack were married in Duddingston and Portobello in 1877. No middle names. In the 1881 Duncan McArthur, commercial traveller provision trade, born Inverary, was living in 5 Southfield Place, Duddingston, with wife Annie, daughter Susanna and son William, 1. William McArthur, son of Duncan McArthur, commercial traveller, and Annie Boyack, married 1877, was born at 5 Southfield Buildings, Portobello, on 5 January 1880. (Portobello is in the parish of Duddingston, or is it vice-versa?). Duncan's parents were William McArthur, groom, and Elizabeth Munro. Annie's were James Boyack, teacher of music, and Susan Cundill.

If this is the right William, where did his, his father's and his mother's middle names come from? Even with a grandfather who taught music, how did he get get to the point of being a Professor of Music five days before his 22nd birthday? He was only 31 on the date of the 1911 census, so why did he claim to be 40? Am I barking up the wrong tree? And when did he die?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you go to, William de Vere Campbell Macarthur?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, a little here on the Boyack side www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cheyne/p7667.htm

No easy reference there to the 'De Vere' name on the Boyack side for Ann/Agnes.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica.

James Boyack certainly had a wide variety of occupations!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

A Professor of Music could be a teacher or instructor, there was no requirement to be associated within an educational institution.  Or perhaps he was a Professor of Church Music.  These were accomplished church organists who taught other church organists.  And then of course he may have simply embellished who he is and where he came from.  Makes for good advertising and self-promotion as a private teacher.

From a BNA search I'm leaning towards him being a self-appointed Professor of Church Music and maybe a dash of embellishment. 

... ORGAN RECITAL AT FORFAR. Mr William C. Macarthur, the organist and choirmaster of John's Epi-copal Church, Forfar, gave a high-class.........

Another source would be the Oxford Music Dictionary.  If I'm wrong and he was a Professor of Music given he was 22ish, he would certainly be there and of course lots and lots in the BNA and your search engine of choice.  The Musical Standard is another source.

Also look in the BNA for James Boyack I see a few who may be him but I don't have a subscription anymore or I would have sent you the clippings.

de Vere...the name of a number of organists through time.

So what ever happened to him?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.