Author Topic: Bangor diocese clerical appointments records.  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bangor diocese clerical appointments records.
« on: Tuesday 08 March 16 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Whilst checking Bangor clerical appointments records (1723) I came across the terms Subsc and Libc and wondered what they mean.

The record of the person I was particularly interested in shows that he is a Deacon and his ordination took place at Bangor on the 21/9/1723, in the 'comments box' of the record it states:-

"This subscription was made on the day of his ordination at Bangor Cathedral".

Any clarification of the terms Subsc and Libc would be most helpful.

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
Re: Bangor diocese clerical appointments records.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »
When I've used the 'The Clergy of the Church of England Database (CCEd)' I came across those type of abbreviations. The Glossary gives the following explanation, though I don't know what source you are using, so cannot say it means the same for you but it would seem likely.

"Please note that within CCEd ‘liber cleri’ is also used in a slightly different sense. When consulting the summary lists of records relating to a person or place, users of the Database will often note the ‘event’ described as ‘Libc’. On consulting the evidence record relating to such an event, users will see it described as a ‘Liber cleri detail record’. In these cases CCEd has adopted the term ‘liber cleri’ and used it generally to describe a type of record. Original evidence records have been collected for CCEd using a menu of screens – ‘Appointment’, ‘Ordination’, ‘Subscription’, ‘Liber cleri’, ‘Dispensation’, ‘Wills’, and ‘Monuments’. CCEd’s ‘Liber cleri’ screen has been used to enter into the Database all lists of clergy compiled on a specific date. "

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting that information, it was 'The Clergy of the Church of England Database (CCEd)' that I was using, it is a great source of clerical information and I have gleaned a great deal of information relating to my ancestor from the site.

There is a link on the website which is supposed to lead to a PDF titled "Research Assistants' Handbook" but unfortunately it appears to be 'broken' at the moment, I would have liked to have downloaded the handbook.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 16 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Subscription probably refers to Canon 36: No person shall be received into the ministry, nor either by institution or collation be admitted to any ecclesiastical living, except he shall first subscribe to the three articles concerning the supremacy, the common prayer, and the thirty-nine articles.
Subscription Books record the taking of oaths which often accompanied clerical events. The 'liber cleri' was a call book in which the attendance of clergy at the episcopal 'visitations'  was noted down. http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/redist/pdf/RA_handbook.pdf
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wireman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 16 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stan for that very full explanation of the term 'Subscription' and also the link that enabled me to download a copy of the " "Research Assistants' Handbook".

- Wireman