Author Topic: Robert McLean, grandson of Allan from Totromald, Coll  (Read 570 times)

Offline tatt1994

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert McLean, grandson of Allan from Totromald, Coll
« on: Wednesday 09 March 16 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I am having trouble finding information on Robert McLean who is recorded in censuses as born about 1846 in Rothesay on Bute, the grandson of Allan McLean born 1790 on Coll and Isabella born 1799 on Coll. The family lived at Totronald before moving to Bute.

Robert was the son of Donald McLean and Margaret S Campbell but I can find no birth certificate for him nor wedding certificate for his parents. He married Sarah Graham in Glasgow. She was illiterate and recorded as being from various places.

Any information welcomed.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McLean, grandson of Allan from Totromald, Coll
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Looking at the 1851 Census transcription on FreeCEN there is a Robert McLean age 4 listed as nephew to Allan(age 60) & Isabella(age 50) McLean at Rothesay Bute.
All the family have their birthplace as Coll Argyllshire.
The son Donald McLean 27 is listed as unmarried.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline tatt1994

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McLean, grandson of Allan from Totromald, Coll
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. The following census has Robert listed as grandson rather than nephew and this seems more likely given the difference in ages. I imagine the informant the first time gave their relationship to Robert rather than his relationship to the head of the household. I don't know if Robert's parents were married, the names are taken from his wedding certificate. As Robert was not living with his mother it's possible he was illegitimate but known by his father's name.