Author Topic: Baptism of James Cockie, Fordoun, Kincardine 1803. Nat son of James Cockie  (Read 574 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The index says the parents are James Cockie and Mary Burleigh.  I've downloaded the image of the baptism from ScotlandsPeople, but there is absolutely no mention of Mary on the record so I'm wondering how her name is in the index.

James and Mary Birley married in 1807.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to where I could find a record that confirms she is the mother please?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of James Cockie, Fordoun, Kincardine 1803. Nat son of James Cockie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 16 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Is it on the ScotlandsPeople index? If it is from another index, it might have been contributed by someone who had done the research themselves and submitted the details. Perhaps it might be an assumption by such a "researcher".

The best way to prove who the mother was is to look at the kirk session minutes for the period. They usually contain details of parishioners guilty of "fornication". The minutes, if they survive, are available to view on computer in the National records of Scotland in Edinburgh and in certain archives elsewhere in Scotland.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 16 07:43 GMT (UK) »
11/09/1803   COCKIE   JAMES   JAMES COCKIE/MARY BURLEIGH FR670 896 (FR896)   M   FORDOUN   /KINCARDINE   259/00 0030 0147   

I searched on Scotlandspeople for Cockie births in Kincardine (four pages came up - if anyone is looking for Cockies in Kincardine I might be able to help)

Above is cut and pasted from the search result.

The actual image says:
Sept 11th - James Cockie subtenant in Cashnoe had his natural son James baptised; Witnesses were Robert Row subtenant there and William Annandale in Kirktown of Fordon.

So I'm wondering how Scotlandspeople connected this record to Mary when she's not mentioned at all.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 16 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hurworth,

I would ask Scotlands People. When you view the image you will notice on the top line above - "To send us a comment about this specific image, please contact us here."......you click on the word here and it opens a contact form.
Just fill out your query. I have had to do this a couple of times recently and have found that I get a swift and helpful reply . There is no extra charge.
Worth a try to find out how Mary Burleigh ties in !

Hope they come up trumps for you,
Looby

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 16 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Excellent suggestion.

I have had a reply.   There is a second frame attached to this record.   There's a page listing the baptisms (without details of witnesses) in the parish and her name is on that record.