Author Topic: Christiana Foot  (Read 946 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christiana Foot
« on: Thursday 10 March 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Christiana was born in Leigh in 1850 and the census returns are clear that her parents were Robert Foot and Adelaide (Barret Robert was the son of Titus Foot and Susannah Allen. However on the marriage cert between Chrisiana to George Short the father's name has been givenasHerbert Foot, who like Robert Foot was a labourer.It appearsto have beenwitnessed by a Harriet Foot, although the sig is unclear. Any help with this mystery would be appreciated. Ibdlieve Rogert was still alive at the time of the wedding and therefore Herbert would not appearto be a step father. My thoughts are that either the vicar put down the name Herbert rather than Robert and perhaps it wasn't picked up especially as Christiana put a cross rather than sign her name or was he calling himself  Herbert possibly he had bedn in some trouble.
Just to add that the vicar had incorrectly put their residence at the time of their marriage as Leigh before crossing out and changing it to Hermitage. So might Herbert have been mis heard or mis understood for Robert?

Many thanks for any help with this mystery.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Christiana Foot
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I personally think it is a mistake on the Vicars part :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I personally think it is a mistake on the Vicars part :)

It sounds the most likely thing to me as well. I think that this must have happened a lot, as over the years I too have puzzled over christian names being different on Certs to Censuses, etc.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 16 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I think the witnesses signature looks more like Annie Foot. I too think the father's name is a case of the vicar mishearing it. If Christiana was nervous and spoke very softly when she gave her father's name, maybe all the vicar heard was the last syllable - "bert".
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 16 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I think the witnesses signature looks more like Annie Foot. I too think the father's name is a case of the vicar mishearing it. If Christiana was nervous and spoke very softly when she gave her father's name, maybe all the vicar heard was the last syllable - "bert".

I can't see any Document or signatures?

Where are you looking LizzieL?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 16 14:28 GMT (UK) »
The parish record is on Ancestry
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott