Author Topic: Longshaw/ Oakes familytree  (Read 404 times)

Offline glenton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Longshaw/ Oakes familytree
« on: Sunday 13 March 16 03:30 GMT (UK) »
my ancestors Longshaw and Oakes lived in the areas of Whitehill  and Kidsgrove  during the early 1880 thru to the early 1900s I have evidence that they worshipped at the Whitehill Primitive Methodist Chaple /church at these times however I have recently been given information that they also worshipped at Harriseahead Primitive Methodist which is still within a close area of the other chaples/churches  would there be any way that I could find information of my Longshaw /Oakes tree in the archives of Harriseahead Chaple as I was able to discover Oakes and Allbutt family tree at Whitehill Chaple when I visited the UK a couple of years ago.
Can anyone also she a light on why they married in a Church of England church when they were so involved with the Methodist  chaple as they were Trustees at the chaple they attended is it likely the law would not allow Primitive Methodist leaders to perform the ceremony as they may not have been recognised as ministers.Would really appreciate any help thank you Glenys Queensland Australia

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longshaw/ Oakes familytree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 16 07:35 GMT (UK) »
This is from a Cheshire site, but holds for rest of country?:

' Methodist marriage registers date only from 1898: from 1837-1898 marriage ceremonies could be conducted only in the presence of the local registrar who then kept the sole record.'

Have you investigated these links:
http://www.thefamilyhistorypartnership.com/hints-tips/an-introduction-to-methodist-records.php

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longshaw/ Oakes familytree
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 16 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Staffordshire Record Office has a guide (pdf): Guide to Sources No. 2 Nonconformist Registers
http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/services/publications/GuidestoSources.aspx

In there, under Harriseahead, it says "See Newchapel"

And under Newchapel, it says:
Newchapel
Wesleyan Methodist, Harriseahead   
Baptisms 1841-1962
Marriages 1911-19959

See also Biddulph Primitive Methodist Circuit
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)