Author Topic: Haggart/Christie, Missing Father  (Read 4089 times)

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Haggart/Christie, Missing Father
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amoeba,

I think you are going to have a bit of an uphill struggle here.
And I agree with Annie, names of potentially living people will be deleted by a moderator, Apologies, I should have made that clearer.

Regarding your great-grandmother , are you sure you have the name of the man your grandfather got his surname from. There is a marriage in 1945 of a woman Laura Christie in Aberdeenshire to a man with the surname you gave but not the forename.

Looby :)

Really? Is the forename William? I had actually forgotten that was possibility. My father has been quite adamant there was a line of David's. For what reasons, I do not know. That date is quite interesting, given it's proximity to my grandfather's birth, which I'll not specify, now that I know better.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Laura Beatrice Christie was b 1902 but neither in Moray, Aberdeen or Aberdeen City?

This would be downloadable from SP though for 6 credits at 23p each. 1 cred for the index & 5 creds for the download.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Laura Beatrice Christie was b 1902 but neither in Moray, Aberdeen or Aberdeen City?

This would be downloadable from SP though for 6 credits at 23p each. 1 cred for the index & 5 creds for the download.

Annie

Thank you very much!  :)
I'll have a look tomorrow, when I'll have access to more stable devices.
This is promising. I do have a slight worry as this would make her quite an age for having given birth to my grandfather. It doesn't make her impossibly old but it does put her into the  verging on improbable range. That said, I am still very hopeful.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes the forename is William. The marriage is in the district of Newhills.
I found this information doing a free search on Scotlands People......when David gave no result I tried random popular names and struck it lucky. I worked out year and district by a process of elimination.

On Scotlands People you can view online births (100 year ago +) , marriages (75 years +) and deaths (50 years +). Unfortunately this marriage was 71 years ago and you will not be able to view. You would need to order the certificate at the cost of £14 if you wanted to read it. It should give you ages/occupations/ status (spinster/widow/divorcee?? ) and the names of the bride and groom's parents.

Looby

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes the forename is William. The marriage is in the district of Newhills.
I found this information doing a free search on Scotlands People......when David gave no result I tried random popular names and struck it lucky. I worked out year and district by a process of elimination.

On Scotlands People you can view online births (100 year ago +) , marriages (75 years +) and deaths (50 years +). Unfortunately this marriage was 71 years ago and you will not be able to view. You would need to order the certificate at the cost of £14 if you wanted to read it. It should give you ages/occupations/ status (spinster/widow/divorcee?? ) and the names of the bride and groom's parents.

Looby

That is fantastic! I was vaguely aware of Scotland's People as a website but I'd heard some bad reviews and was uncertain whether I'd have to pay just to join or how that would work. This quite exciting! This could be a very helpful lead.

Thank you both, so very much.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands People is a wonderful resource. You just have to be careful and not waste your money on wrong searches.
If you are in Scotland there are SP centres where you can book computer access for £15 for the day and be able to view all the records - there is no year restriction.

Looby

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Carson,

The bad reviews will be from people who have not yet learned how to manipulate the system to it's full capacity/potential.

It can be expensive for beginners taking a "stab in the dark" & we have all been there when we started out.

It is actually the least expensive site for certs. when you have the "know how" & if you're unsure just ask on here for any help.

Annie

ADDED.....It's also the ONLY site where you can buy Scottish certs.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm much obliged to you both. As I said, I'll take a look at the website tomorrow but I'll certainly be googling the nearest Scotland's People center.
It seems rather unusual that there is only one site selling Scottish certificates, I must say.
I do appreciate the offer of help with setting up and I'll certainly take you up on it, should the need arise.

Thanks,
Carson

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands People is the official records site.
Their information is indexed and photographed from the original BMD registers and government Censuses.
The site is a Scottish government site - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Looby :)