Author Topic: Burials from ampthill workhouse  (Read 1377 times)

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials from ampthill workhouse
« on: Wednesday 16 March 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I wander if anyone might have some ideas which I could try next in my search for information on my 3xgg James loveridge. I have discovered via his death cert he died on 23rd April 1881 in the ampthill union workhouse of emphysema. I had contacted the beds records office and had some research done  but sadly the workhouse records have gone. So no help there. I wander where he might have been buried. Any suggestions as to where he could be.also I wander how they missed the census, if it was taken on the 3rd and he was so ill they can't have been far from the workhouse. Yet I have found no trace. They must be hiding very well up some very quite lane .James was bn in bucks in 1813, his partner was Peggy Parker and by then they had, Jane, elisha, fanny, Eliza, Lena, lemuel, Maria and Margaret.
Did the workhouse have a cemetery, was there one near by.any thoughts please. Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burials from ampthill workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 16 08:54 GMT (UK) »
First of all he's not listed amongst the inmates of Ampthill Workhouse in 1881....
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Ampthill/Ampthill1881.shtml#Inmates

Next.... he seems to have been a gypsy so he could be anywhere ? However in Jan 1873 he & his family are reported in the Beds Times before the Bedford Petty Sessions....
James Loveridge (60) a well known gipsy, Margaret Parker (38), Jane Parker (13), Elisha Parker (11), Solomon Parker (4) & two infants were brought before the bench, & the five whose names were mentioned were charged with sleeping in a barn on the farm premises of George Higgins in Gipsy Lane.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials from ampthill workhouse
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 16 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou JOhn i should have mentioned all that. It was finding that article that led me to James. Did the workhouse have its own cemetery.
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire