Author Topic: bg Nancy Reg #3616  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: bg Nancy Reg #3616
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 05:05 BST (UK) »
If you wish to PM me with an email address I can send you some page scans from the book.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 July 16 05:53 BST (UK) »
Here's Marwood, a somewhat earlier NE directory that you can search through yourself. You will get some hits.

North of England maritime directory, shipping register, and ... - Page xv

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oeENAAAAQAAJ
Thomas Marwood - 1848 - ‎Read

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 July 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe, Once again, I owe you a big thank you!  ;D This book also has some very relevant information! Sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 July 16 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax:

I may be posting things that you already know, but I thought I would add it in case any is new...

Problem is that I cannot find a William George Spoor in any census.  This couple had a son named William and a son named George who were both baptised the same day in 1817 in Newcastle.
1847 General directory of the town and county of Newcastle upon Tyne..."
  [It is not the original book; just a typed document, which could contain errors]
William George Spoor, manager, Hanover Street
Perhaps you already have that information?

Your William George Spoor bought her in partnership with Christopher Heslop 18 July 1850. On 29 September 1850 WGS became sole owner. He apparently was in financial straits. NANCY had repairs done by A. & R. Hopper of Newcastle and they placed a lien on her, then apparently mortgaged her to Benjamin Plummer to get their money.

Sometime early in the period 1850 - 1869, NANCY sailed for San Francisco with her owner on board and was never heard of since.

I understand that William George has been difficult to find after 1850.  Is the ship Nancy also unaccounted for? 

Many ships were abandoned in the San Francisco Bay during that time frame.  Could he have purposely abandoned the ship, providing of course that they did reach California?
An article about abandoned and buried ships.
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/history/hgshp1.htm

I tried searches for Mr. Spoor and the Nancy, but have so far been unable to find any articles:
California Digital Newspaper Collection
http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc

San Francisco City Directories (in case he did make it to San Francisco, and stayed for at least one year)
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/sfdatadir.htm
Choosing "IA" allows one to view the actual directories

Other databases:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/sfdata.htm

Newspaper archives for some U.S. newspapers, 1836-1922 (after a quick search, I didn't find anything for Mr. Spoor)
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

I am familiar with San Francisco and still live in California, if I can be of any help answering general questions.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 July 16 00:14 BST (UK) »
26 August 1851
Apparently a Mr. & Mrs. Spoor arrived on board the Onyx?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i24/

One of the pay sites has a snippet, which includes:
25 October 1851, Newcastle Journal
"emigrants days out, arrived all well, at San Francisco, on the '85th' of August...Mr. and Mrs. Spoor, of Newcastle."
Coincidence that this couple sailed to San Francisco?  Would another Mr. Spoor have sailed to San Francisco? 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 July 16 00:24 BST (UK) »
WOW Lisa!  Thank you so much for your help! That is fantastic news that presumably he and his wife did arrive safely in San Francisco.  Yours is the first information that places him in the USA after he left England! Now, the question is where did he go?  My initial "gut reaction" is that he would have stayed near the ocean as he was familiar with ships and sailing.  Armed with your find....wouldn't one think that he could be found in the US in the next census??  I wonder if he somehow traded the ship, Nancy" for passage on board the Onyx??  The only Spoor people I know of in this time frame in the USA are a branch in Indiana working mostly in the coal mines AND another huge number of Spoors in the general area of New York State - HOWEVER - all of them originally came from the Netherlands and no relationship has ever been established to my knowledge.  Lisa, thanks so much for your help! Perhaps this ship Onyx, carries some information!  Sincerely, patrexjax 
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax:

When I was a young teenager, my mum and an Irish lady made the mistake of believing we found my ancestor's "family" in Ireland.  It turned out that the "John" whom we believed to be our ancestor was not our ancestor (but he could actually be the cousin to our John).  Decades later, we still do not know our connection to the Irish family, or even if there is a connection.  (I hope that makes sense.)   ::)
-------------------------------------------------------
While there are a lot of similarities to Mr. and Mrs. Spoor's arrival in San Francisco, I can't help but wonder if he was your W.G. Spoor.   :-\

Looking at the article in the Daily Alta California, passengers mentioned were "M Tasket, Mr and Mrs Spoor, M Martin, Mrs. Bowden and child, Miss Coghlan, Mr Turner and 14 in the steerage."

Do any of the names mean anything to you?  Could he have been travelling with friends, business acquaintances, neighbours, etc.?
I believe the Captain of the Brig Onyx was Captain Nicholas Coghlan, so Miss Coghlan may have been his daughter.

...My initial "gut reaction" is that he would have stayed near the ocean as he was familiar with ships and sailing.

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about West Coast history to suggest where Mr. Spoor may have travelled next but do keep in mind that he possibly could have ventured into Canada.

Also, is there a possibility that while the Onyx sailed to San Francisco, perhaps that wasn't the last port on her voyage?  Could the ship have travelled up or down the coast after arriving?  Or, even sailed to Hawaii?

The article mentions Mrs. Spoor.  If this was your Mr. Spoor, I wonder when and where they married?

Is there a possibility of reading the entire article from the Newcastle Journal, dated 25 October 1851?  Perhaps more clues may be found in the article?  [I can only find it on one of the "pay sites" and it is only a snippet.]

I think there is something more to be found and will continue to have a look around.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Could the following be for George Spoor, who was baptised 21 August 1817? 

George Spoors, male
Age: 0   [Would it have shown weeks or months if he was "your" George?]   ???
Born:  1817
Buried:  6 September 1817
Place: Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland

Above burial was for an infant
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J8R5-3WG
Residence:  St. Andrew, Newcastle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
Did Amor Spoor died in 1850 and if so have you read his will?  Are any of his sons mentioned in the will?