Author Topic: bg Nancy Reg #3616  (Read 5251 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bg Nancy Reg #3616
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi! I'm not really conversant with what would be in those newspaper articlesas I do not subscribe to any pay sites.  I do know that seveal members of my Spoor linedid live in Clavering Place in Newcastle.  Maybe I can  locate them again in a census on that street. I guess the best one would be the 1841 one......  I'll seee what I can do in the midst of finsihing off dinner dishes. Thanks again! patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 02:29 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  I currently subscribe to a pay site, but I've not been able to find anything helpful on the site.

I think I'll take a break for a bit (supper time here as well) and when I resume later tonight, I'll search for Mr. Spoor in America.

I've not given up hope - I still think there is something to be found.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 03:53 BST (UK) »
HI again! Well, I stand corrected on the forename of George - there are a fair number of them born in County Durham. In 1841 in Newcastle the LDS indexes revealed a George Spoor born 1833 a son of an Edward Spoor age 45-49 and his wife, Elizabeth age 40-44 living in All Saints parish with sons Edward b 1829 and George born 1833.  This particular family is unknown to me, although they all claim to be born in Northumberland.  Another thought for the grist mill..although the owner of hte ship, Nancy, is listed in legal papers, apparently, as William George Spoor, I wonder if he used only his middle name in every day discussion and common usage? Sorry, I know I am grasping at straws!  :-\
Thanks for your help and in bringing a fresh set of eyes! Sincerely, patrexjax
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 July 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax

I wish I could find something helpful, but maybe we can eventually find something.

In the meantime, I cannot find Edward/Elizabeth and sons from your 1841 census on one of the pay sites (I do not see them in 1841).  However, this looks like them after 1841:

1851 Longbenton, Northumberland Census
Edward Spoors, age 22, born Mitford, Northumberland, Colliery Labourer
Ann, wife, age 25, born Earsdon
Margaret Ann, age 1, born Long Benton
Edward George, 1 mo, born Long Benton
Elizabeth Spoors, visitor, 56 (no notation for married/widowed, etc.), born Wrighton?
16 Long Benton, Village

In 1861 (Tynemouth, Northumberland), Edward claims he was born in Morpeth.  Elizabeth was born in Hartley
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 July 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
...The only Spoor people I know of in this time frame in the USA are a branch in Indiana working mostly in the coal mines AND another huge number of Spoors in the general area of New York State - HOWEVER - all of them originally came from the Netherlands and no relationship has ever been established to my knowledge.

Indiana death certificate
William Spoor Sen(ior?)
Born September 7, 1833, died May 20, 1913
Born County of Durham, England
Died:  Brazil, Clay Co., Indiana
Parents:  John Spoor and Ann Ridley

John Spoors was born in County Durham September 8, 1806.  He married Isabella Ridley.  They lived in Durham and Northumberland Counties.  He mined coal.  They arrived in America in 1859.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=136976874

Information about William Spoor (born 1833) and photograph:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=38379974

Could they be a part of your Spoor family?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 July 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
Someone on the pay site states that John Spoor married Isabelle Ridley 6 December 1830, Saint John's Parish, Newcastle Upon Tynes, England

The father of John Spoor was William Spoor born 1779 (Whickham) and Ann Mould born 1776 (Ovinghan, Northhumberland).

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 July 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa, Sorry for the delay in responding; we had to go to the dentist.... :'(  Yes, the family in Indiana is a collateral line of which I am aware.   I'm afraid the other Edward Spoor you found is not the one who is in "my" immediate group. My grandmother's oldest brother, Edward Spoor, was b 1857 in LongBenton, NBL and married Agnes Josephine Hill; the had 6 children. In most of his adult life, he was an engine fitter.  This Edward's family did not have William George Spoor as one of their children. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for ALL of your efforts on my behalf. As you say,perhaps this query will strike a note in someone's mind and we may get some answers later. In any event, my sincerest thanks! patrexjax

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 July 16 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax

I wish I could find something helpful, but maybe we can eventually find something...

You are welcome for the help, but I haven't given up yet and it's a good thing I haven't.   :)

Guess what I just came across?   ;D

19 June 1852, Daily Alta California Newspaper
"List of Letters Remaining in the Post Office at San Francisco, June 15, 1852
Officially published in the paper having the largest circulation.
Persons asking for these letters will please say advertised June 15th, 1852"

Gentlemen's List    [Numerous Names, including]
Spoor  Wm G
 ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i2x/

I can't promise any other results, but hopefully, there is more "out there".

PS  It was also posted in the 16 June 1852 paper

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 July 16 03:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have any unaccounted-for David Spoor's in your family?

6 May 1853, Sacramento (California) Daily Union Newspaper
"List of Letters remaining in the Post Office of Sacramento City, for the month of May, 1853
Officially published in the paper having the largest circulation.
Persons asking for these letters will please say - Advertised 1st May, 1853
Post Office.  Sacramento City, May 1, 1853"

Gentlemen's List    [Numerous Names, including]
Spoor  David