Author Topic: John Brown  (Read 1394 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Brown
« on: Sunday 20 March 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me trying to find out where my Great Uncle John Brown may have moved to after arriving in Toronto in 1920 or are there any records I can look up.
Occupation; Gardener
He sailed to Quebec from Glasgow on Sicilian on 5th June 1920
Travelled to Toronto by train & staying with Mrs Sneddon, Galt Avenue, Toronto
He was born on 9 sept 1893 at Dykehead Cottage, Stonehouse, Lanarkshire to James Brown & Agnes Dickson and enlisted with the Queens Own Highlanders in 1914. 
His regimental number was 16406
I know it's a common name (he didn't have a middle name). 
I don't need any family details as I have all of those.  He is the only one that I can't find and record of since sailing to Canada

Many thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Brown
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 March 16 10:58 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 16 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello tizzy

Have done some looking around and ran across the following which could be your man

Toronto City Directory 1922
John Brown gardener Sir William Meredith h.309 Glen Rd

Here is a link to information on Sir William Ralph Meredith
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ralph_Meredith
His favourite pastime was gardening and he had a beautiful residence with lovely grounds.
It is worth taking a look.

I have contacted a volunteer on Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness who  frequently goes to the Toronto Reference Library to see if he/she can take a look at the microfilm for Directories after 1922.

I ran across a death for a John Brown on FamilySearch he was born 1893 and died Aug. 6, 1928 Middlesex, Ont. Now he could be your man but am having trouble accessing the death reg.

My Ancestry membership has  run out so maybe some other Chatter can pick it up. It is worth a look.

Hope this might be your man

Lilybell

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 16 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, there are no parents listed on the death record. However, there is a tree on *A* that appears to be related this John and his parents are not the same as the OP has given in his/her original post. The John Brown in the tree married in 1917 and the record shows his parents are the same as were given in the tree. So doesn't appear to be the correct John Brown.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Found the John Brown who was gardener to William Meredith  :)

Toronto Star, 6 May 1929 page 3 has a short notice about his death.

John Brown of 309 Glen Road, gardener to the late Sir William R Meredith for 45 years, died yesterday.  He had been ill for several months.  He was born in Scotland.  He was Presbyterian.  He Is survived by son Charles and two daughters... Jemima and Margaret.  All of Toronto. 

So. a death on May 5 1929.... the record should be on familysearch.   

RK

NOTE - I rechecked...it definitely says he was a gardener to Sir William Meredith for 45 years.  If yours was born in 1893... perhaps this isn't your man?

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Toronto Trust Cemeteries database on FS says that the John Brown who died May 5 1929 was 70 years old, so not your man. 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:276Q-XHQ

Death cert...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JKZ1-DNT

Unfortunately, your John Brown who was born in 1893 and was a gardener is not the John Brown, gardener to Sir William Meredith.  Too bad... it was a great lead. 

RK

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 March 16 22:32 GMT (UK) »
No, it won't be my John Brown.  He emigrated in 1920 from Scotland.  If he died in 1929 and gardener for 45 years it definitely won't be him.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 March 16 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Toronto Trust Cemeteries database on FS says that the John Brown who died May 5 1929 was 70 years old, so not your man. 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:276Q-XHQ

Death cert...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JKZ1-DNTI have several john browns in my husbands family tree as well as my laidlaw / brown lain, hall family tree on ancestry

Unfortunately, your John Brown who was born in 1893 and was a gardener is not the John Brown, gardener to Sir William Meredith.  Too bad... it was a great lead. 

RK
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 16 23:20 GMT (UK) »
The John Brown who arrived on the Sicilian indicates he was a farm worker and was going to work in the same occupation in Canada.  He was going "to Ont. government" which suggests that he was on a farm worker scheme or on an assisted passage.