Author Topic: Masseys of Saintfield  (Read 1187 times)

Offline sandieteddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Masseys of Saintfield
« on: Thursday 24 March 16 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I think that my family history has a link to this store which is currently located in Main Street, Saintfield, Co. Down. The shop is a butchers and is called Masseys of Saintfield.

My relatives were George Batton and Eliza Massey who resided in Tonaghmore, near Saintfield in 1850's until 1867 - that we know of.  George Batton died in Ayrshire, Scotland in September 1872. Some time between his daughter getting married in 1st Saintfield Presbyterian Church in July 1867 and his death in 1872 he moved to Scotland with his sons - John, Samuel, Andrew, Robert and George.  His daughter Ellen moved to Ayrshire in the 1870's.
Eliza Massey was the daughter of Alexander Massey and his wife Susanna. They farmed land in Tonghamore.  Alexander died in November 1872 and his will left everything to wife Susanna and sons William, John and Robert Massey.
We think that Eliza died and George moved to Scotland with his children.
Fast forward to 1901 and there is a Grocer in Saintfield by the name of Alexander Batton and he appears in the 1901 and 1911 Census.   The shop that he works from is the same store that is now Masseys of Saintfield (butcher).
We don't know if this is coincidental with the names Massey and Batton but we would love to hear from anyone who may remember anything, including the history of the current butchers shop.

Thanks
Sandra