Author Topic: MacDonalds from Skye to London?  (Read 6158 times)

Offline K MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacDonalds from Skye to London?
« on: Saturday 26 March 16 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I'd much appreciate any comments regarding any MacDonalds that emigrated from Skye to London around 1800.

My Dad and his brothers and sisters always proudly said we came from the Isle of Skye. The trouble is, I'm struggling to find any paper trail that says it is so. I've tried the Old Parish Records via the Scotland's People site, but found zero for that period.

Are there any other MacDonalds out there with families that ended-up in London?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MacDonalds from Skye to London?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are probably lots but whether your MacDonalds did is hard to say and will take some research.  Also knowing their christian names and birthyears.

You would have to work back from your father, his parents & grandparents etc etc until you catch up with the family in London.

Presumably your father and his siblings were all born in England so should know whether your grandfather was also born here
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline K MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, have done all that, back to Henry Thomas Macdonald, who family legend says came from the Isle of Skye. He married in London on August 11, 1828 in St.James Church, Clerkenwell, and lived the rest of his life in London. But so far I have found nobody in Scotland that matches that name.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:39 GMT (UK) »
There are no extant parish records for Portree that would verify a birth around 1800, unfortunately. What is, of course a matter of historical record is that there was mass emigration of MacDonalds from Skye (particularly from Sleat) in the late 18th century as the MacDonald landlords saw their land as more valuable than their tenants and were pretty ruthless at evicting those who offered no economic benefit.

Your family tradition is wholly plausible but I suspect that finding evidence top prove it might be impossible.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:42 GMT (UK) »
He married in London on August 11, 1828 in St.James Church, Clerkenwell, and lived the rest of his life in London.

He married Eliza Ann Hurle

What was his birthyear?
Do you have him on any census which confirms his birthplace was Scotland?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms for 2 children in London - Henry John Thomas in 1829 and William 1835

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Son Henry is not with family in 1851.  He married Maria Frances Hurle (??relative) on 1.7.1855 at St Mary Islington

Strangely - both fathers were called Henry Thomas -  Both Henry MacDonald's were printers and Henry Thomas Hurle was a surveyor

Henry T MacDonald is not shown as deceased on the marriage cert although that proves nothing

I can't find him in 1841/1851/1861

Offline K MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 16 02:44 BST (UK) »
There are no extant parish records for Portree that would verify a birth around 1800, unfortunately. What is, of course a matter of historical record is that there was mass emigration of MacDonalds from Skye (particularly from Sleat) in the late 18th century as the MacDonald landlords saw their land as more valuable than their tenants and were pretty ruthless at evicting those who offered no economic benefit.

Your family tradition is wholly plausible but I suspect that finding evidence top prove it might be impossible.

Thanks, that matches what I've found. The Portree and Sleat parish records have a limited date range
114. PORTREE
114/1 Births 1800-19, Marriages 1800-19
114/2 Births 1819-54, Marriages 1819-54

115. SLEAT
115/1 Births 1813-19, Marriages 1813-17
115/2 Births 1819-53, Marriages 1820-52

An Archive Assistant at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre confirms that the date ranges for the other parishes are limited as well.

Bracadale (1802-1854); Duirinish (1817-1854); Kilmuir (1823-1854); Snizort (1823-1854) and Strath (1820-1854).

Offline K MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 March 16 03:01 BST (UK) »
Son Henry is not with family in 1851.  He married Maria Frances Hurle (??relative) on 1.7.1855 at St Mary Islington

Strangely - both fathers were called Henry Thomas -  Both Henry MacDonald's were printers and Henry Thomas Hurle was a surveyor

Henry T MacDonald is not shown as deceased on the marriage cert although that proves nothing

I can't find him in 1841/1851/1861

Yes, son Henry married a Hurle as well. That confused me for a long time until I realised son Henry had married a different Hurle who was (by then) a cousin.

Henry Thomas Hurle came from a notable line of Hurle people, with roots in Somerset and Wiltshire. His grandfather was one of the group that (re)formed the Ancient Order of Druids in 1781 - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_Druids