Author Topic: samuel smith will  (Read 5681 times)

Offline Wyvol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: samuel smith will
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 March 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it was the other sister, Elizabeth, who was in an assylum.  She seems to disappear from the records.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 03 March 17 04:13 GMT (UK) »
  No i dont think so. The three sisters are together in 1881. They seem to have always lived in Clifton Bristol, Somerset . I havent picked them all  up in 1891 census, but Janetta and Harriet are together in 1901 census at Bedford Street Bath  aged 82 and 73 respectively. In all of the censuses they are recorded as living on independent means  I  cant find a definitive death record for Elizabeth as i've only got access to Find My Past.

Harriet Sarah left all her funds  circa 1679 British Pounds to her sister. In todays money it would be worth about 95.000  Pounds sterling. I have never searched for Janetta's will--she died in 1909 but I've often wondered who she left her money to as there do not appear to be any family members left in the UK . It certainly did not come to her brother's family in New Zealand!.  Orkrad

Offline Wyvol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 03 March 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The index entry to Janetta's will can be found on the National Probate Calendars for 1909 Wills and Probate 1858-1996 Tab Search for Smith and 1909 and it is on page 14 or try this link.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=smith&yearOfDeath=1909&page=14#calendar

The Bath Directories do not include entries for the sisters until 1900, when the entry for 4 Great Bedford Street is Misses Smith, this continues each year until Harriet dies, when the entries are Miss Janetta Smith.   This may imply that they were only at Nile Street for a short time, or that they were lodgers rather than householders.  Also checked the Bath Burial Index online and could not find them.  This does not mean that they were not buried in Bath, only that they may be buried in a cemetery that has not been put on the index, although most have, but not completely.  Maybe they were buried elsewhere with other family members.  William Smith's 3 sons were all living in Bath in 1901 Census and had been on and off since they were born, but they moved away in the early part of the 20th century.  I wonder if they were in touch with their elderly cousins.  I cannot find a definite death for Elizabeth or an 1891 census entry either, maybe they were out of the country!

Offline Wyvol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 03 March 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Charles Cordeux was a watch and clockmaker in Clifton, Bristol so maybe the sisters moved back to Clifton in the 1880s/1890s.

Offline Wyvol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Two wills James Fitch of Deal, Kent made Feb 1784 proved 5th Mar 1784 and his son Thomas Smith of Deal made 1831 proved Sep 1835
James Fitch of Deal, Gentleman names
Wife Jane Fitch (Named as his executor)
Daughters Jane Wright Fitch and Ann Shadwell Fitch (both unmarried)
Sons William Fitch and Thomas Fitch
Daughter Elizabeth Smith

begs Son William Fitch and  "Son" Samuel Smith to execute his will if his wife dies

"it is my pleasure that I be buried in the vault which belongs to me in the ground of the Chappel of Deal"
Deal Parish Registers show that James married Jane 2nd Aug 1750
William bapt 6 Oct 1751
James 25 Nov 1752 buried 29 Nov 1752
Elizabeth 20 Mar 1754
Thomas 19 Sep 1756
Jane 25 Feb 1759 Bur 23 Sep 1759
Jane Wright 31 Oct 1762
Ann Shadwell 9 Oct 1765

Thomas Fitch of Deal Gentleman
Wife Winafred Thomas Fitch married Winifred Weeks 16 Oct 1786 at Woodchurch, Kent
William Smith of Guildford Street Middlesex Stockbroker (William son of Samuel) as one of his executors
Seven Children
Elizabeth Weeks Baker widow
William Fitch
Ann Croft
James Fitch serving in the British Navy
Wilmshurst Weeks Fitch
Frederick Fitch
Thomas Smith Fitch

Registers of Deal show baptisms of 9 children between 1789 and 1812

Offline Wyvol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 19 March 17 10:00 GMT (UK) »
A few odds and ends.  The Smith family lived at No 6 Holborn. As sources are a trade directory of 1808 and William Smith's application to the Stock Exchange June 1804, they lived "over the shop".

William married his cousin Winifred, a daughter of Thomas Fitch of Deal, at Deal October 1807.  She died of consumption in 1812 in Marchmont St. in Bloomsbury London and was buried 5th February.

The Fitch family of Deal were grocers and lived at 94 and 95 Beach Street, Deal for at least 3 generations, from at least 1824(on-line directory) until about 1882 when Thomas Fitch's grandson left Deal, to be found at Penge by 1891.  Would a Deal grocer buy his stationery from London, is that how the families became acquainted?
The 1808 London Directory (on-line) also lists Smith & Son, Solicitors, 36, Basinghall-Street, presumably James and Frederick.
The Times Monday 24 May 1824, Deaths
On the 22d inst., in the 38th year of her age, Sarah, wife of Mr James Smith, Solicitor, Austinfriars.
Austinfriars is very close to St Margaret, Lothbury, but unable to find a burial for her, only her daughter Ann Ludlow Smith.
Jane Sampson's father Adam was a pilot (marine) at Deal.