Author Topic: samuel smith will  (Read 5679 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: samuel smith will
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 09:24 BST (UK) »
On fire this morning, Jo  :)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks StevieSteve, a nice way to relax after work  :), wish it worked that way for some of my lot.
Jo :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
Plenty of family information to be found in the will of Samuel Smith of Camberwell, stationer, son of Samuel Smith, 29 Dec 1826, available on Ancestry or National Archives.

Jo  ;)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
All Saints, West Ham
29th December, 1772
Samuel Smith, bachelor of St. Dunstan in East London
Elizabeth Fitch, minor of this parish, with consent of her father James Fitch
By licence
Witnesses
William Shadwell
William Fitch
Mary Daniel

St. Leonard, Deal, Kent
Elizabeth Fitch
Bap.20th March, 1754
Dau of James and Jane

Also at Deal
James Fitch
Jane Sampson
2nd August, 1750
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Suffolk Sue, Steviesteve and Jomcd967. You have all been working really hard on my behalf.

I know quite a lot about Alfred William Smith, son of James Smith. AW came to New Zealand in the 1860's with a family of six to accept a government post. He was later a Justice of the Supreme Court in Dunedin NZ.

James Smith has eluded me for years . The baptism records for all his children are from St Margaret Lothbury in London and his wife is only named as Sarah. Two of his children however were named James Fitch Smith.   Sarah's maiden name I have yet to find.  James was a partner in the firm Weir and Smith of Coopers hall  Basinghall St London but I know little else about him.

Samuel Smith the father of James and granddad of Alfred William  is a very recent discovery. I wonder what kind of stationer he was to label himself as gentleman.? Obviously quite prosperous!

Once again many thanks. Regards Orkrad.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 April 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
An Article of Clerkship record, 27 Nov 1792... James Smith to John Gotobed, of Norfolk Street, Strand, Attorney of His Majesty's Court of Kings Bench at Westminster, clerk for five years in the practice of Attorney and Solicitor, James the son of Samuel Smith of Holborn, Stationer.

Also of note, Samuel names a Benjamin Gibbons of Walbrook, wholesale stationer, as an executor of his will.

Thanks Jomcd 967 for this information. Can you please give me the source of this information. Where do I find articles of clerkship?  Two of James Smith's sons were also lawyers and I'd like to find out a bit more about them. Their names are Frederick Bissextile Smith (bissextile because he was born on 29 February!) and Alfred William Smith (a direct ancestor). I wonder if they  both served their  clerkship  in their father's firm at Cooper's Hall London.

Thanks Orkrad

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 April 16 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Orkrad,

The Article of Clerkship records for Alfred William (articled to Archibald Weir in 1837) and Frederick Bissextlie (what an awesome name!) (articled to father James in 1824) are available on Ancestry under their Court and Wills section.

I have been unable to find a marriage for James and Sarah(who dies prior to 1826), but looking at the following:
- Frederick Bissextile Smith, born 29 Feb 1808
- James Fitch Smith (6 Dec 1811 - 15 Jan 1812)
- James Fitch Smith (20 Oct 1812 - 20 Feb 1814)
- Poynder Smith, born 14 Dec 1814, died 1854 (leaving everything to brother Alfred William Smith in his will and living with father James in 1841) (1851 - living at Kenton Street Bloomsbury)
- Alfred William Smith 5 Oct 1816
- Janetta Smith, 28 Nov 1818
- Elizabeth Smith, 5 Sept 1820
- Ann Ludlow Smith (15 Sept 1822 - 25 Mar 1824)
I wonder if Sarah may be Sarah Poynder?

James Smith (15 Jul 1777 - buried 5 Feb 1850, of Kenton Street, St George Bloomsbury) I can't find a will?
1841 - Sidmouth Street, St Pancras
James Smith, 63, solict, not born in Middlesex
Paynde Smith, 25,
Mitilda Smith, 35

Evening Mail, London, 29 Sep 1820
"...Mr James Williams were invested by the proper officers with the chain of office, and sworn in as Sherrifs for the ensuing year, Mr James Smith, solicitor, of Tokenhouse Yard, was also sworn in as deputy to the former..."
Manchester Times, 2 Feb 1850
"On the 29th ult, aged 7? Years, Mr James Smith, solicitor, formerly of Basinghall Street, London, he was for many years clerk of the Worshipful Company of Coopers, and officiated as undersheriff of London and Middlesex.."

Samuel Smith (c1747 - 1826) and Elizabeth Fitch (c1753 - 1830)
- Samuel (8 Oct 1774 - 1826) Samuels will names brother William of Swallowfield Berkshire, Sister Elizabeth Adnams, brother James Smith and his five children by wife Sarah deceased (Frederick Bissextile, Poynder, William Alfred, Janetta and Elizabeth) and niece Sarah Ann Smith, daughter of brother Frederick, deceased.
- James Smith (15 Jul 1777 - 29 Jan 1850)
- Elizabeth Smith (14 May 1782 - 1857) married to James Adnams and in her will leaves everything to nephew Alfred William Smith and his wife Elizabeth Jessie.
- William Smith (22 Apr 1784 - 1843) Names in his will his wife Mary and children Samuel, John Richards, Mary Frederick and George.
- Thomas Smith (17 Jun 1786 - ?bef 1820) he is named as deceased in brother Fredericks will in 1820
- Frederick Smith (16 Nov 1788 - 1820) married Ann Adnams (possibly the sister of Elizabeth Smiths husband James) - Morning Chronicle, 25 Nov 1817 - "...married 15 Nov, Frederick Smith, of Tower Hill, to Ann, fourth daughter of James Adnams, of Aldermaston, Berks..." Daughter Sarah Ann born 25 Nov 1818.

Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 April 16 06:48 BST (UK) »
 Thanks a million Jomcd. I did know some of the information but I had not considered that James Smith's wife might be a Poyder /Poyander. Something for me  to follow up.

A bit of a puzzle however. If James Smith ( father to Alfred William and a bunch of others) died in 1850 why is he mentioned in the Manchester Times of 1852. Also in the 1841 census what relation is the Matilda Smith to James and Poynde (Poynder? ). I think James married more than once since he has children born after Sarah's death (1826 ) .

Many thanks for all your efforts on behalf of our Smith ancestors. They have been very elusive for a very long time.

Regards Orkrad.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 April 16 06:54 BST (UK) »
Doh! Modified Manchester Times above to 1850  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire