Author Topic: Emma TAYLOR (Spong)  (Read 1985 times)

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
Re: Emma TAYLOR (Spong)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had looked at that record and hoped that it was for the correct family, but I always worry about very common names - I know how dangerous making assumptions in genealogy research can be. My Ferdinando side (also London based) is somewhat easier because their names were somewhat less common.

Thanks for the reassurance :)

Teresa

Thomas Taylor was an account book ruler in 1861, when he and Louisa had 5 children: Thomas 11, Alfred 7, Ed. John 5, Sarah Ann 3 and Alice 9mo.  All born St Giles.

RG9/173/7/11.
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Think the 1881 census the family are transcribed as TAILOR, at 15 High Street, minus father Thomas mother transcribed as LOUSA TAILOR

Class: RG11; Piece: 326; Folio: 15; Page: 24

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
Think the 1881 census the family are transcribed as TAILOR, at 15 High Street, minus father Thomas mother transcribed as LOUSA TAILOR

Yes, Louisa's a widow here so likely death for Thomas Taylor is Sep qtr 1878 aged 50, St Giles 1b 384.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
See here for what you can expect on a historic English birth certificate (which does indeed include both parents' names and mother's maiden name):

http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/births.htm

If you are ordering direct from the GRO Online the £9.25 price should be around $17 Canadian.  Obviously it is never worth paying a middleman for these as you probably know.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 March 16 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you, claire...I figured it must be something like that - I'm surprised Ancestry didn't pick that one up as it's only one letter off...My Spong family has had some weird mistranslations - Sporg being one of them  ;D

claire
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 March 16 23:57 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if Emma's mother is Louisa MONTGOMERY, b. Dec 1825, christened, January 25, 1829, da. of Richard and Mary Ann Montgomery. She's listed in the 1841 Census, though her age has been mistranscribed as 17 - if you look the record, it's 12.

The only thing that gives me pause is that it lists on all the Census records that she was born in St. Giles, and yet she was baptized in Westminster...but the parents' names are the same - Richard and Mary Ann. Was it unusual for someone to be baptized outside the district in which they were born? I'll have to do some more research on this. Any insight would be most welcome.

EDITED to remove the copyrighted images!!!

TIA

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 00:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I saw the Thomas Taylor/Louisa Montgomery marriage and agree it looks promising.

I would not worry at all about Louisa being baptised in St James', Westminster rather than St Giles.  The baptism record shows that Richard was a shopkeeper whose abode was Monmouth St which was in the parish of St Giles, so the family was indeed linked to that area.  Both parishes are central London parishes. Perhaps they picked St James' for the baptism because it was more salubrious than the St Giles area which was notoriously slum-ridden, gin-soaked and generally grim at the time.

PS the images you have posted are likely to breach copyright - sorry.  Any census, baptism etc info posted on here should be transcribed by your own fair hand as family history websites own the copyright both in the relevant images and in their own transcriptions.

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 02:03 BST (UK) »
avm228 - Thanks for the feedback on the baptism...I figured it might not be a huge issue that she was born in one area and baptised elsewhere. Maybe there were family ties in Westminster as well as the other reason you noted.

And thank you SO much for letting me know about the copyrighted images. I'm a librarian and didn't even think of that, as they show publicly available records. I know better now and will refrain from posting any more screen shots.

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 02:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks!! I had to go do some errands so hadn't yet looked for Thomas's death record b/w 1871 and 1881 :)

Yes, Louisa's a widow here so likely death for Thomas Taylor is Sep qtr 1878 aged 50, St Giles 1b 384.