Author Topic: John (George?) Main & Margaret (Jane) Ritchie.  (Read 3895 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John (George?) Main & Margaret (Jane) Ritchie.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sams Mam

Have you viewed the original marriage record on Scotlands People's website?

This should have the parents of both bride and groom recorded - giving mother's maiden name and father's occupation  and whether they are deceased or living at time of marriage.

Looby :)

Offline sams mam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 12:53 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking that George Main and Jane Ritchie might be the ones I'm searching for because the date of baptism - 19th August 1846 (I thought this was date of birth) for their daughter Margaret is the date I have for my Great Grandmother. Am I confusiong everyone even more now?
Sams mam
Heffernan - Fermoy,Co Cork.
Curtin -Tallow, Co Waterford.
Crowley, Castletownbere, Co Cork
Forbes-Birnie, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lyall, Sanday Island Orkney.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 12:58 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking that George Main and Jane Ritchie might be the ones I'm searching for because the date of baptism - 19th August 1846 (I thought this was date of birth) for their daughter Margaret is the date I have for my Great Grandmother. Am I confusiong everyone even more now?
Sams mam

How did you come about that date for the birth of your Great Grandmother?

To my mind if you have not looked at the names which Margaret provided to the registrar at her marriage in 1874 , you have a 50% chance of being correct :/

Offline sams mam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:05 BST (UK) »
I have not done that loobylooayr, so I'll try to do that asap. But just to throw another 'fly into the ointment' I've just remembered that I'd seen the Norrie name someplace before, so I've had a look at my information and my grandfathers sister some time after 1913 moved to Wales to live with her cousin and the cousins husband. The cousins name was Margaret Emslie (I think) Norrie. Her father was Thomas Ritchie Norie (Norrie) and Mother Elspet Emslie Robertson. So there is definitely a connection with the Norrie family. It's all as clear as mud - very exciting though! ;D
Sams mam.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:05 BST (UK) »
My feeling is that the Margaret Ann Main in 1861 is Margaret Ritchie Main born to John Main and Margaret Ritchie in 1845 but I don't know how you would prove that. This is a most confusing family - I have just found an 1871 census entry for 10 Millburn Street Old Machar that appears to show the two Nor(r)ie children (Thomas and Elizabeth Jane) who were listed with grandmother Margaret in 1861 as the children of Margaret Stephen age 46 Shipmaster's widow. Also found what looks like the death notice of Thomas Ritchie, Shipmaster who was father of Jane, Margaret, Barbara and husband of Margaret Snr ( he can be found on the 1841 census at Queen Street with Margaret Snr and all their children whose baptisms can be confirmed on Familysearch as children of Thomas Ritchie and Margaret Ritchie). He died on 25/1/1856 at 17 Prince Regent Street age 57 and was master of the barque Essequibo. Ref this -note address on 1851 census found earlier by Loobylooayr.
Have also ascertained from Findmypast transcription that the Jean Ritchie appearing as daughter of Margaret Snr in 1851 was supposedly a widow.
Have you checked the marriage and death cents for Margaret Main/Birnie? What names are given for her parents?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline sams mam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
Loobylooayr When I first started researching my Great Grandfather William Lyall Birnie I got the death cert of his wife and got most of my details from that. Then I traced back from there. Between the details I collected for both of them I got the information re her parents names.
Sams mam.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Loobylooayr When I first started researching my Great Grandfather William Lyall Birnie I got the death cert of his wife and got most of my details from that. Then I traced back from there. Between the details I collected for both of them I got the information re her parents names.
Sams mam.

Thanks Sams Mam -
there seems to be 2 Margaret Main's born around 1845/1846 in the same area of Aberdeen.
One to a George Main and Jane Ritchie.
One to a John Main and Margaret Ritchie.

I wonder if the above Jane and Margaret were sisters :-\
Both could have named their first born daughter after their mother (Margaret Ritchie )

The Census of 1851 has at 3 Church Street Aberdeen-
  RITCHIE   Margaret   Head   M   F   51       Aberdeenshire - Slains       
  RITCHIE   Jean   Dau   W   F   28       Aberdeenshire - Slains       
  RITCHIE   William   Son   U   M   16   Grocer's Shopkeeper    Aberdeenshire - Slains       
  RITCHIE   James   Son   -   M   14   Scholar    Aberdeenshire - Slains       

Note that Jean Ritchie daughter of head of household is recorded as a widow. Could this be the Jane wife of George and mother of Margaret Main?  If so where is her daughter Margaret.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
Have had a look at the marriage of William Birnie and Margaret Main and guess what - she is a widow previously married to Alexander Robertson, parents John Main (deceased) and Margaret Ritchie. So she is the one born in 1845 and most likely the one living with Her grandmother in 1861. Maybe Jane's daughter died and that is why there is no sign of her in any of the census.
Have tried to find a marriage for Thomas Ritchie Norrie to Elspet Robertson but can't find one so still no further forward with who his parents were.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
9/1/1861 - Alexander Shivas Stephen, Shipwright married Margaret Ritchie, a widow, of Keimfield Cottage, Ruthrieston, father Thomas Ritchie Shipmaster (dec'd) mother Margaret Ritchie nee Ritchie.
Becoming a bit clearer now but still unclear why Elizabeth Jane Norrie and Thomas Ritchie Norrie are showing as her children in 1871.
Isobel