Author Topic: Wife Missing From Home On Census Night  (Read 737 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wife Missing From Home On Census Night
« on: Friday 01 April 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I am struggling to find my G,G,G,G Grandmother in the 1851 census.  Her name is Mary Ellen Brook (Nee Brown) bc1805, she lived in Thwaites, Nr Keighley.  She is listed with her husband (James bc1802, Morton Banks or Bingley) and children (Elizabeth bc1829 Bingley and Isaac bc1835 Thwaites) in 1841 and with her husband, daughter and grandson and  his family in 1861 (she is listed as born in Rawdon in 1861).  In 1851 her husband, children and Nephew are listed in 1851 but I cannot find her.

Please save me from pulling my hair out!

Thank you in advance,

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wife Missing From Home On Census Night
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 16 21:22 BST (UK) »
Here's the 1851 reference

HO107 Piece 2308 Folio 99 Page 14
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
Here's the 1851 reference

HO107 Piece 2308 Folio 99 Page 14

Sorry Carole, I am on GRU and cannot search it with that.  Do you know the name of the head of the house so I can search with that?
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
She was visiting the Beetham family - if you use Alfred Beetham b 1845 Bradford that should get her

She is Mary Brook b 1805 Rawden (not Rawdon)
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 16 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole,

The writing on this one is pretty scribbly so I will try to decipher it tomorrow.

There looks to be a few "Browns" in that household who could be her relatives, so that has sent me off on another tangent  ;D

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 16 23:57 BST (UK) »
My internet connection is doing my head in at the moment as it keeps freezing so I have to log out and then I lose what I found.  Managed to copy this 1841 entry for Sarah in Otley

Sarah Brown 30
Hannah 13
Joseph 9
John 7
Sanderson 4
Henry 1
HO107 Piece 1314/9 Folio 37 Page 10

Can't find a marriage between Sarah & Beetham/Bentham pre-1851 at the moment

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
Having looked at Sanderson Brown (took the easiest route) his parents were John and Sarah Brown (there are two possible listings for John Brown's death after Henry's birth and prior to the 1841 census in Otley.  I haven't found a marriage for Sarah and John Beetham as yet).  There is an earlier Sanderson Brown, bapt 1820, whose parents were Isaac and Grace Brown.  Mary Ellen Brown's parents were also called Isaac and Grace, so it looks like there could very well be a link there.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a bapt record for John Brown (father of Sanderson Jnr) but I shall continue to look.

::)